Frederick Marquand? and Mystery Mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Granmaa
co-admin

Frederick Marquand? and Mystery Mark

Post by Granmaa »

Does anyone know this mark taken from a condiment spoon?

Miles

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,

Seeing the various combinations of pseudo marks that Wev has for Frederick Marquand, he does seem to be the likely candidate.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /67822.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I'm curious to know if the other mark has any significance. It doesn't look like your average pseudo mark.

Miles
doc

Post by doc »

Pseudo hallmarks similar to this were used frequently in New York, both in New York City and in upstate New York; you often see the left facing lion as being associated with New York makers. Although I have not seen this particular combination of marks, the use of the crown, lion and bust in some combination is not uncommonly seen.
ksdanner

Re: Frederick Marquand? and Mystery Mark

Post by ksdanner »

Have you learned any more about the marks. I am trying to track them by date. It seems Frederick was with Erastus Barton and then on his own...which would have been a time he used that mark in NYC. He then started Marquand & Brother. Some text refers to a Marquand & Barton but I haven't seen a mark for that one yet. Any further information?

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”