17th century silver cup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bread_baby

17th century silver cup

Post by bread_baby »

greetings, The following cup has the silver mark HB conjoined together in a square shaped frame. Also a zig zag assayer mark.

Quick search on google found me an auction site describing something with this mark as 17th century german. Does it look the same or maybe a fake?

AG2012
contributor

Re: 17th century silver cup

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Is conjoined HB the only mark on your beaker,i.e. besides „Tremolierstich“ (zig zag line) ?
There were at least 3 silversmiths in Augsburg with HB similar to those shown.
I think Augsburg acorn in the description does not match 1650.
After all, your beaker can be German, but of much later date (19th century) based on ``how it`s made``.
Regards
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Straying a bit from your mark, but looking at that fruit thing (I won't chance acorn) it has 10 pips in a 3-4-2-1 pattern. Now go to mark set (box) 4 in B. Neresheimer & Sons Hanau (Psuedo marks) here: https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

Notice mark #2 shown as [npr] appears like a bad or incomplete version of the same pattern (3-4-2-1). If that really is a match, then their HB is a psuedo...not to say that yours is.
bread_baby

Post by bread_baby »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Is conjoined HB the only mark on your beaker,i.e. besides „Tremolierstich“ (zig zag line) ?
There were at least 3 silversmiths in Augsburg with HB similar to those shown.
I think Augsburg acorn in the description does not match 1650.
After all, your beaker can be German, but of much later date (19th century) based on ``how it`s made``.
Regards
There are no other marks except HB and Tremolierstich. Do you think it is 19th century because of how it's made? Can you tell me more, I would love to learn.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Most 18th century beakers were raised on stake from a single sheet of silver.
Much easier later technique was creating beaker walls from bent sheet of silver and then soldering bottom and even rim, red arrows in your beaker.
Regards

bread_baby

Post by bread_baby »

AG2012 wrote:Most 18th century beakers were raised on stake from a single sheet of silver.
Much easier later technique was creating beaker walls from bent sheet of silver and then soldering bottom and even rim, red arrows in your beaker.
Regards
Ah I see, thank you. Very useful knowledge.

Could you take a look at my other posting and look at how it's build? It's a silver plate that looks medieval to me but no markings: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=52003&p=162163#p162163
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Hi, from what I can tell, both of your pieces are at least 18th century. The cup might be early 19th at the latest but I don't think so. I think the confusion with the cup has to be from your pictures which are good but not as good as holding it in hand. From what I can tell the cup looks hand wrought, not spun and the marks could be German or possibly from a Baltic country where this kind of marking was common. From what I can see I think the cup is too primitive in design and construction to be from the late 19th century when most pieces were factory produced and when they were not they would be much more ornate.

Return to “German Silver”