Antique Georg Roth & Co. ?? Bowl & Plate Hanau Silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tipton444

Antique Georg Roth & Co. ?? Bowl & Plate Hanau Silver

Post by Tipton444 »

Hello all,

I recently acquired this gorgeous silver bowl and cup, and I have been trying to learn more about the hallmarks it has. Now, I don't have a lot of knowledge on Hanau silver, and it's been very interesting to read about it. Can someone confirm that the hallmarks are for Georg Roth & Co. of Germany? When I first saw the hallmarks I thought wow those are old! But then I learned about Hanau silver. Can anyone tell me a little more information about the piece and history behind Georg Roth? What style or time period was he trying to copy/reproduce here? Also, can someone tell me what this bowl and plate was meant to be used for? Thank you all very much!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Antique Georg Roth & Co. ?? Bowl & Plate Hanau Silver

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Demitasse cup and saucer by Georg Roth & Co, Hanau, Germany with 18th century pseudo French hallmarks of Rococo period.Stamped cutwork and raised repousse. (The porcelain insert is missing).
Also, see here:
http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html
Regards
Tipton444

Post by Tipton444 »

Perfect! Thank you so very much AG. Exactly the answers I was looking for. I'm glad I was right about the maker! They only worked with 800 silver right?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

They only worked with 800 silver right?
Not necessarily. Georg Roth & Co. silver in sterling standard (.925) was imported to UK and marked as such.
Regards
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

I have a George Roth Tobacco box with the makers mark showing the silver as '930' purity though the UK import marks show it as 925.

Ian T
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The UK has one silver standard being sterling. British 925 or sterling hallmark guarantees a minimum of 925/1000. "930" although a little higher meets the sterling standard and marked as such.

Peter.

NB. Britannia silver. Britannia silver is an alloy of silver which contains 95.8% silver
The Britannia standard was never abolished, and remained in use also after 1720 as a voluntary alternative option to the sterling standard. However, it’s use was no longer widespread until a thirty year revival in the reproduction of antique items in the late Victorian Era, and during the reigns of Edward VII and George V- lasting across the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, and in more recent years during the 1960s and 1970s.
More recently in 1999, following the change in hallmarking, Britannia silver is now denoted with the millesimal fineness hallmark (958) the optional use of the 'Britannia' icon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_silver

Return to “German Silver”