Sterling Jewelry Box. 1800's Hanau, Germany Fantasy Hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blackice1981

Sterling Jewelry Box. 1800's Hanau, Germany Fantasy Hallmark

Post by blackice1981 »

Hello everyone! I have an interesting Sterling Jewelry box. There are British Foreign (Import) Hallmarks which Indicate it was hallmarked in London is Sterling marked in the year 1896. There is a second set of hallmarks, which I have pictured below. I'm under the impression these are late 1800's (1880's, 1890's?) Hanau Germany "Fantasy" Hallmarks. I noted the "A" looks like the Hallmark for Paris 1762-1768. I'm hoping someone can confirm this is a Hanau Germany piece, or suggest something else. Any info on the hallmark or piece would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Perhaps blakstone or bahner can ID this Hanau maker. If you post the British marks, one of the members might be able to ID the importer. The dating of the piece would be contemporary with the import marks.

Cheryl ;o)
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the first mark on the left ( 'A' with crown and twig) can be found in identical form on Neresheimer pieces, combined with a second mark (usually a letter) and with an imitated Wertheim-mark, which looks a little like the mark on the right hand side. Maybe this third mark is struck incompletely here. So my guess: its Neresheimer, around 1880/1890. Best wishes, Bahner
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

If the British sponsor's mark is BHM, B.M.L., or BM, then the importer would most likely be Berthold Muller, they brought a lot of Neresheimer pieces into the U.K.

Cheryl ;o)
blackice1981

Post by blackice1981 »

Hi! Thanks for the replies (& double thanks to you Dragonflywink, for both here & the other board). Here's a photo of the import hallmarks, sorry they are a little blurry, but they are fairly simple & easy to recognize.

Return to “German Silver”