WHS Co. Germany?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jlynn1

WHS Co. Germany?

Post by jlynn1 »

Greetings, I cannot get the knife to show in one picture - not sure what is wrong, so I apologize for the 3rd picture. This knife is 7" long. Some of the details of the mark will not show up either, but it reads W.H.S. Co with the o raised and underscored. Just below is stamped GERMANY. On each side of the handle the stamp STERLING appears. The paper scroll is on both sides as well, with a monogram within on one side.

Likely belonged to the g-grandparents. Born 1880's, married prior to 1917, died 1940's. I have seen some references to the internet of similar mark, however it is on purses - have not found any reference to flatware or other silver. I keep redirecting to Saart which had a similar mark, however they are an American company, and the WHS was within a globe.

Thank you in advance.

silverport
contributor

Re: WHS Co. Germany?

Post by silverport »

»Not German« but »British«

Hello »jlynn1«

Welcome to the Forum.

By my experience and knowledge of European cutlery I may state:

The here shown fruit knife isn’t »German«, but »British«.

Seldom could you get German fruit knifes with a blade made from Silver (in this case: STERLING).

Markings on knife’s blades are very often differing in relation to maker’s mark “normal” punches.

If »WHSCo« on the knife’s blade signification is e.g. »W.H.S.« [March 1906] of »William Henry Sparrow« or »William Hutton & Sons« or some body else I couldn’t state either.

Please look here (right side, middle): http://www.925-1000.com/dlBirmingham6.html#M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The form of the knife’s haft pattern is a classic »Round stem« pattern; but hammered, as it became usual on Continental cutlery after WWI.

The tip of the knife’s blade isn’t very common — at least on German fruit knifes; that tip would be at least “exotic”.

Well the saw on the knife’s blade back, you could some times also find on German fruit knifes, e.g. for oranges.

I hope that one of our British experts know this kind of knifes — and maybe the maker too.

Kind regards silverport
cmmeacham

Post by cmmeacham »

This is a US piece. The blade was made in Germany. Most American silver companies bought their blades in Germany in the late 19th & early 20th century. This was also true of scissors (my specialty). The WHS Co is the W. H. Saart Co. of Attleboro, Mass. Some US companies had their German supplier stamp their mark on the blades. Gorham did this as well. Carolyn
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Carolyn,

Welcome to the Forum.

Trev.

Return to “German Silver”