WHS Co. Germany?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item

WHS Co. Germany?

Postby jlynn1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Greetings, I cannot get the knife to show in one picture - not sure what is wrong, so I apologize for the 3rd picture. This knife is 7" long. Some of the details of the mark will not show up either, but it reads W.H.S. Co with the o raised and underscored. Just below is stamped GERMANY. On each side of the handle the stamp STERLING appears. The paper scroll is on both sides as well, with a monogram within on one side.

Likely belonged to the g-grandparents. Born 1880's, married prior to 1917, died 1940's. I have seen some references to the internet of similar mark, however it is on purses - have not found any reference to flatware or other silver. I keep redirecting to Saart which had a similar mark, however they are an American company, and the WHS was within a globe.

Thank you in advance.

jlynn1

Re: WHS Co. Germany?

Postby silverport » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:15 pm

»Not German« but »British«

Hello »jlynn1«

Welcome to the Forum.

By my experience and knowledge of European cutlery I may state:

The here shown fruit knife isn’t »German«, but »British«.

Seldom could you get German fruit knifes with a blade made from Silver (in this case: STERLING).

Markings on knife’s blades are very often differing in relation to maker’s mark “normal” punches.

If »WHSCo« on the knife’s blade signification is e.g. »W.H.S.« [March 1906] of »William Henry Sparrow« or »William Hutton & Sons« or some body else I couldn’t state either.

Please look here (right side, middle): http://www.925-1000.com/dlBirmingham6.html#M

The form of the knife’s haft pattern is a classic »Round stem« pattern; but hammered, as it became usual on Continental cutlery after WWI.

The tip of the knife’s blade isn’t very common – at least on German fruit knifes; that tip would be at least “exotic”.

Well the saw on the knife’s blade back, you could some times also find on German fruit knifes, e.g. for oranges.

I hope that one of our British experts know this kind of knifes – and maybe the maker too.

Kind regards silverport
silverport
contributor

Return to German Silver