Unusual hallmarks on old 18ct gold handmade ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ermione123

Unusual hallmarks on old 18ct gold handmade ring

Post by Ermione123 »

Hello, If someone could help me identify the marks on this handmade ring, I'd much appreciate it. I would like to know the approximate age and perhaps where it was made and by whom. I have been told that although it is similar to a British hallmark, it is not British as the lion passant and crown were not used together. I have had the ring tested and it is solid 18ct gold. I think it is set with a carnelian but am not sure about that either. Photos of the hallmarks, ring and stone are below.
Many thanks,
Em.

(admin photo edit)
Ermione123

Re: Unusual hallmarks on old 18ct gold handmade ring

Post by Ermione123 »

Is there anyone able to help me with this please?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The ring was resized and part of the mark is missing (most likely gold standard).
Nevertheless,the combination of crown and lion passant (both facing right and left) is known to have been used by Australian silversmiths - jewelers.
The crown is Queen`s crown of Queen Victoria. Cannot tell if they changed to King`s crown of King George V and VI which was done on e.g. regimental badges.
Example bellow is on Australian gold ring and a mark used by an Adelaide silversmith (not L&W).
You can contact The Gold & Silversmiths Guild of Australia at http://www.gsga.org.au/
and enter ``Australia`` into the search engine of this page (top right).Good luck.
Regards

Ermione123

Post by Ermione123 »

Thanks very much. I did some research prior to asking here and thought it may have been made by William Lamborn & Leopold Wagner who made jewellery in Londsdale Street Melbourne around 1860 but I have been unable to find any photos of their marks so wasn't sure. All I know is that they marked their jewellery with a crown and an L&W. I'm am unsure if they also used the lion passant.
If anyone has any photos of marks used by Lamborn & Wagner Melbourne, I'd love to see them.
Many thanks,
Em.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Em,

Some years ago I searched extensively on Lamborn & Wagner and found three sets of marks attributed to them.
They are:

1. L & W
2. Star, L & W, Star
3. Crown, L & W, Crown

So yours with the crown and lion passant don't quite fit but then I don't know the significance behind the stars and crown marks and yours could be yet another variation but unknown at this point.

You have asked for a photo of their mark and Ill be happy to provide one but I need to photograph it tomorrow in daylight. Don't get too excited though, as my set of the star marks are damaged due to a really poor lead solder reattachment of the C catch and the rough filing around it . Although worn, the L & W are clearly visible, but to my eyes the fonts are a little different to yours.

Until tomorrow,
Steve
Ermione123

Post by Ermione123 »

Hi Steve,
A photo of your marks would be great, thank-you and thanks for telling me about the range of marks you know of too. From what you've told me, I'm still not sure if it is by them but hopefully someone else may be able to add to this with some more information or photos of marks by Lamborn & Wagner.
Warmest regards,
Em.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Hi Em,

Here are the photos. I had trouble due to rain outside and the LED lighting inside isn't ideal. There are two shots of the marks, the first attempting a sharper photo of the letters and the second enlargement trying to show the star next to the clasp as it is easily identifiable as the star using a loupe. Three points of the left hand star can just be seen with a loupe but I'm unable to photograph to the required precision.

Cheers,
Steve
Ermione123

Post by Ermione123 »

Thanks for those Steve. As it turned out, I managed to find out for sure today that the ring is definitely by Lamborn & Wagner. On another forum, someone posted a photo of marks in a book and mine are exactly the same as the bottom picture. Here they are in case anyone else needs them.
Thanks for all you help and the trouble you went through for me.
Kindest regards,
Em.

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Thanks for that. I've just embedded your photo for all to see. Did the other forum cite the reference book as it would be good to know. Otherwise could you let us know the forum URL providing that its not a commercial website as posting links to commercial sites are against our forum rules. If you are unsure wether its commercial or not just click on the Private Message link above next to your login and send it to me via a PM.

Thankyou,
Steve

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Hi Em,

Is it "Australian Jewellers - Gold & Silversmiths Makers and Marks" by Cavil, Cocks and Grace?

Thanks,
Steve
Ermione123

Post by Ermione123 »

Thank-you Steve and have sent you a PM.
Ermione123

Post by Ermione123 »

Sorry Steve, I forgot to add that the information that confirmed the identity of the maker of my ring was taken from 'AUSTRALIANA' magazine by Michel Reymond for November 2014 and 'BLING' catalogue of exhibits from the 2016 goldfields jewellery exhibition which I'd be happy to send you if you'd like? You may have already seen the references if you read through the posts on the other website. I'd be happy to send you the 'BLING' catalogue of exhibits from the 2016 goldfields jewellery exhibition. It's a .pdf document. I tried to add it here but couldn't find how and it may not be possible anyhow.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”