Republic of Austria Vienna assay office with ``A``

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

Republic of Austria Vienna assay office with ``A``

Post by AG2012 »

Carved lapis lazuli pendant set in 14Kt gold. Viennese jeweler`s initias F dot F in type VI = horizontal oval with horizontal notches on left and right side.
Austrian Republic, Vienna assay office with ``A`` is unknown to me. Bear`s head for 14Kt gold was used from May 1922 to 1925 when it was replaced with horse`s head and letter ``W`` for Vienna. This mark is horse`s head but there is letter ``A``, reminiscent of old marks. Even the right side of the mark is slightly different to accommodate the letter. It must have been used for a very short time. Besides, gold made between 1922 and 1925 with bear`s head is very scarce and I have never seen whether it was letter A or letter W.
In a word, any info on this mark is appreciated, and who was FF in Vienna?
Thank you looking and helping
wolfgang
contributor

Re: Republic of Austria Vienna assay office with ``A``

Post by wolfgang »

With horses head and "A" I can't help, but the makers mark no problem:
FF means Ferdinand Feuchtner, Gold- und Silberschmied, Gewerbsverleihung april or mai 1915, Wien VIII, Lerchengasse 8 - the same adress with FF, different shield means Franz Feuchtner, Silberschmied, Gewerbsverleihung 1880, Gewerbszurücklegung 1915 (Working from 1882-1915)
FF Feuchtner Franz (son? with same makers mark), factory: Silberwarenerzeugung, same adress: Lerchengasse 8 (1914-1922) producing silverware of practically every kind, sugar boxes, bread baskets, jardinières, candlesticks...
regards
wolfgang

source: Wiener Gold- und Silberschmiede und ihre Punzen 1867-1922 by Dr Waltraud Neuwirth I/147
AG2012
contributor

Re: Republic of Austria Vienna assay office with ``A``

Post by AG2012 »

Thank you for answering, Wolfgang
Far East Trade Agency is at the address now.The old building with the shop was demolished.Vienna I knew does not exist any more.
Best wishes

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”