Possible Russian filigree, who and what?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Gulliver

Possible Russian filigree, who and what?

Post by Gulliver »

Hello, I'm very pleased to find this forum and so this will be my first post.

I've inherited something i believe to be of Russian origin, stamped with a right-facing relief and the number 84. The makers mark is giving me the most trouble, is it K.C? I hope the photo quality is good enough for someone to see and possibly identify. I would really like to know what this is and from where it originates. Thank you in advance!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Possible Russian filigree, who and what?

Post by dognose »

Hi Gulliver,

Welcome to the Forum.

Try to capture a sharper image of the marks. Use the macro feature on your camera and take the image in daylight, no flash.

Remember to keep the images to within the 7" (18cm) guidelines.

Trev.
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

It's already been a year, but here are some better photos (Thanks for the reply dognose). I'm still hoping for help on this one, i'd really like to know where it comes from.

Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

Bump
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think it could be either Baku or Kazan, depending on Greek letter (omicron or upsilon).
Kokoshnik mark used 1908 - 1917.
Regards
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

Thank you. It looks indeed a lot like the Kazan mark, found here (http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_kokoshnik_01.html), only mirror image of it.

When it comes to the makers mark, it's hard for me to read the exact letters, which I suspect have to do with the Cyrillic alphabet, so maybe someone's able to read those as well?

Thank you
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Not mirror image, it`s the second kokoshnik, scroll down in the link above.
The second letter is ``G`` in Cyrillic, the first letter is difficult to decipher.
Regards
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

Thank's again for your remarks. As you probably understand, I'm very much an amateur in this field. By saying mirror image, I mean that in the link above the "U-like" mark is pictured as wide on the left side, thinner and narrowing from the right side. I do not know how much this varies within one mark, but on my piece of jewellery it seems like it's opposite: Wide on the right side, thinner and narrowing from the left side.

Would a better photo make it easier to decipher the makers mark, and would it be likely that one could identify this maker? I'm really interested in the history of this piece. Is there something special about Kazan or filigree from there for example, even if the maker is unknown.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Once again, thank you for your time answering me.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

There is difference between Greek letters omicron and upsilon, the latter being open on top. Use magnifying glass (10X) and try to decipher.
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

I looked into it. Upsilon, for sure.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

ART OF TATAR FILIGREE: TRADITION OF CRAFTSMANSHIP AND HISTORIC - CREATIVITY FEATURES
Open this link
http://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/iskuss ... -razvitiya
On the right side of the page look for скачать pdf
click on it to download the article in Russian, summary in English. Copy paste and use Google translate if interested.
Regards

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”