Help with makers mark on dessert forks retailed by Shreve Crump & Low Co.

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
WolfFrog

Help with makers mark on dessert forks retailed by Shreve Crump & Low Co.

Post by WolfFrog »

I cannot find out who used this W mark. It looks similar to one of Frank Whiting's marks but it is definitely not the same. The seller said they were British but the lack of Hallmarks seems to disprove that. They have a Shreve Crump & Low Co mark on them. I assume SCL was only the retailer and not the makers of the forks. It seems they had a gold plating/finish on them at some point. You can see traces on some parts that received minimal wear. Any help on who made these and when would be appreciated!

Aguest
contributor

Re: Help with makers mark on dessert forks retailed by Shreve Crump & Low Co.

Post by Aguest »

It does look like Frank Whiting and the pattern is listed as "unidentified" on the big flatware pattern identification website :::: There might be traces of a gilded surface which has faded over time :: I don't see why Shreve Crump & Low would not be the retailer, even though only the initials are used, these are small pieces and they just couldn't fit the entire company name :
Lore450

Post by Lore450 »

The W mark is identified as Frank M. Whiting Co on the American Silver Marks by initials on this site.
WolfFrog

Post by WolfFrog »

While it is very similar to this one it is clearly different. If you see this exact mark anywhere can you please guide me there. I assume it is a variation on the Whiting mark but I have yet to see it.
Lore450 wrote:The W mark is identified as Frank M. Whiting Co on the American Silver Marks by initials on this site.
WolfFrog

Post by WolfFrog »

I don't see it on replacements, I assume that is what you were referencing. Can you link if you found it please. You are probably right about the initials being used because of the small size of the forks. Thanks for the reply!
Aguest wrote:It does look like Frank Whiting and the pattern is listed as "unidentified" on the big flatware pattern identification website :::: There might be traces of a gilded surface which has faded over time :: I don't see why Shreve Crump & Low would not be the retailer, even though only the initials are used, these are small pieces and they just couldn't fit the entire company name :

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”