Tiffany Moore Sterling "Old Silver" hallmark?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SnoodinOrange

Tiffany Moore Sterling "Old Silver" hallmark?

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Hi there!
I bought this old Tiffany creamer pitcher for my husband because he liked the face on it. I'd like to make a record of what I can find out about it as I like to do with all the items we collect. The stories behind them is the best part! : )
My first question is about the "Old Silver" stamp at the bottom of the Tiffany hallmark. I can't find any information about that or what it means in the Carpenter book or on this website. I have seen the Moore Tiffany pieces marked with an address or Union Square before, but does anyone have any feedback or has anyone seen a Tiffany piece marked "Old Silver" before?
I think the twig handle and face are cast. I don't know if Tiffany tea sets had pattern names but any help identifying would be appreciated as well. Is it some sort of woodland creature?
Looking at the pattern number and the M mark, would you agree that it dates from 1856 to 1869 under the directorship of JC Moore and Son according to the website? It only has the single M instead of one on each side, but the pattern number indicates it began production sometime after 1856 according to the Tiffany page.
Thanks all for any feedback, I appreciate your time.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Tiffany Moore Sterling "Old Silver" hallmark?

Post by Traintime »

Part of the answer is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42771&p=121081&hili ... er#p121081

Maybe lookup "The Green Man" for design character, but not definite.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Does this mean there is a entire tea service with this design? I would love to see a teapot with this theme.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Kind of interesting that they appear to stamp "Old" twice, but "Silver" got it in one strike. Maybe not a single stamp, but made from separate stamps in a work set?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Also, the "9" and "5" 's look like the number style of the 925 stamp, but the "4" 's must be from another punch set. Tiffany, at least the first half, has be re-stamped too.
silverly

Post by silverly »

The apparent duplicate marks are probably just chattered marks that occurred when the marking was originally done. Beautiful piece. The Old Silver mark is intriguing. There's a slim possibility that it has something to do with actual "old" silver vice silver from newly opened mines.
SnoodinOrange

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Thank you all for your feedback. If anyone has any ideas on how I might research this vice silver idea, or any other thoughts or speculation on the Old Silver, I will continue watching. And THANKS!

One last question if you don't mind. The belly of the creamer has fingerprint sized impressions and indentations all around. Would this be something that could be repaired and if so, would that be okay to do? To try and have it restored? Or is that a big no no to alter an antique piece of silver in any way? I typically like to leave things as they are aside from hand polishing but the damage is pretty prevalent in a smooth / non decorated area, so I thought I'd ask the experts opinion.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”