Sterling ID Help EM?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

Sterling ID Help EM?

Post by hpidaves »

Hello,

I recently acquired this small (3 3/4") sterling piece (sugar sifter?) and could use some help with the manufacturer. It appears to be an "E" superimposed over an "M", but this is just a guess. I have attached photos.

Thanks!
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Sterling ID Help EM?

Post by dragonflywink »

The manufacturer was Barstow & Williams, Providence, Rhode Island 1888-1904 - their entwined 'BW' trademark is upside down in your pic, not sure I've ever seen their mark oriented the same direction as the 'Sterling' mark. With the wide bowl and short handle, looks like a bon-bon/nut spoon to me...

~Cheryl
hpidaves

Re: Sterling ID Help EM?

Post by hpidaves »

dragonflywink wrote:The manufacturer was Barstow & Williams, Providence, Rhode Island 1888-1904 - their entwined 'BW' trademark is upside down in your pic, not sure I've ever seen their mark oriented the same direction as the 'Sterling' mark. With the wide bowl and short handle, looks like a bon-bon/nut spoon to me...

~Cheryl
Cheryl, you are spot on. The holes threw me off -- I think those were probably drilled by a previous owner (they are not in any particular pattern and are not in straight lines). I found one just like it on eBay, except no holes.

Thanks so much!

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”