Two Sterling Lid Antique Vanity Powder Jars - hallmark assistance appreciated

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
maidaweb

Two Sterling Lid Antique Vanity Powder Jars - hallmark assistance appreciated

Post by maidaweb »

Each measures approx 5" x 3". First:

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Traintime
contributor

Re: Two Sterling Lid Antique Vanity Powder Jars - hallmark assistance appreciated

Post by Traintime »

Probably "La Pierre" Mfg. Co. (Newark/New York) as an International Silver Company holding (moved 1929 to Wallingford CT). According to Rainwater, this mark was a combination of the letters F & L forming the (British) Pound Sterling mark. The founder was Frank LaPierre.
maidaweb

Re: Two Sterling Lid Antique Vanity Powder Jars - hallmark assistance appreciated

Post by maidaweb »

Traintime wrote:Probably "La Pierre" Mfg. Co. (Newark/New York) as an International Silver Company holding (moved 1929 to Wallingford CT). According to Rainwater, this mark was a combination of the letters F & L forming the (British) Pound Sterling mark. The founder was Frank LaPierre.
Thank you! Any idea about the W? :) I have two different pieces with the same hallmark!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Please clarify...is this a second object with the "W"? (Always start a new entry for a new object.) [BTW--standard maker's marks such as La Pierre are different than actual "Hallmarks" which are well regulated marking systems providing far more information.]
maidaweb

Post by maidaweb »

Traintime wrote:Please clarify...is this a second object with the "W"? (Always start a new entry for a new object.) [BTW--standard maker's marks such as La Pierre are different than actual "Hallmarks" which are well regulated marking systems providing far more information.]
Yes I'm sorry, these are two different vanity jars. I will repost them separately; didn't realize that is the suggested approach.
maidaweb

Post by maidaweb »

maidaweb wrote:
Traintime wrote:Please clarify...is this a second object with the "W"? (Always start a new entry for a new object.) [BTW--standard maker's marks such as La Pierre are different than actual "Hallmarks" which are well regulated marking systems providing far more information.]
Yes I'm sorry, these are two different vanity jars. I will repost them separately; didn't realize that is the suggested approach.
The 2 photos shown here are the same item; the La Pierre maker jar. The W jar is different. Thanks.
maidaweb

Post by maidaweb »

Found out the W in circle is Woodside Silver. Thanks all.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Assuming you are refering to "Woodside Sterling Co.". If not, can we see the mark and object. Here is known Woodside: http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_W6.html

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”