Confirm Geometric Mark is Domnick & Haff?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
katehp

Confirm Geometric Mark is Domnick & Haff?

Post by katehp »

I'm trying to identify the maker of a set of sterling flatware. I have table forks, teaspoons, and butter knives with the same mark of a square, circle, and diamond (the matching knives are marked Stainless, and oddly the soup spoons are by A. Stowell & Co.). I suspect it may be Dominick & Haff, but it doesn't match the line drawing illustrations I've come across in references. Each piece is also marked "Sterling," and the teaspoons follow sterling with "M". These were nominally a wedding gift in 1914 to a couple in the Boston area.

Thanks for any help!
- Kate

Butter knife:

Teaspoon:

Fork:
Aguest
contributor

Re: Confirm Geometric Mark is Domnick & Haff?

Post by Aguest »

I too have noticed slight variations in the "Dominick & Haff" sterling silver hallmark, so I always check twice just to make sure it is Dominick & Haff ___
It does seem consistent with Dominick & Haff, and the "M" has been known to stand for "Massive" which means a few extra grams of silver are used in order to add a little heft to the piece ___ The pattern looks like "pointed antique" for the one with the pointed end, and I am not sure about the other piece ___

And I don't believe I have ever seen the Dominick & Haff symbols appear perpendicular to the handle ___ Almost always they are parallel to the handle, and the lines are almost always more "crisp" as compared to your examples ___ That is a very rare orientation of the hallmark, and I am not quite sure why they would choose to do that ___ Rarely you will see the "D & H" hallmark, which I found on two mixed-metals spoons, and that hallmark has also been accepted as Dominick & Haff ___

If I got anything wrong, there are experts on here with more experience than myself, so I defer to their knowledge, but I particularly like the flatware and hollowware of Dominick & Haff ___

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”