Northwest Silverware Manufacturing Company - NWSW Mfg. Co.

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Northwest Silverware Manufacturing Company - NWSW Mfg. Co.

Post by Aguest »

All I can find are rumors of a Chicago company which was only active for a few years in the 1860s ::: A silversmith/jeweler had to be persuaded to come out of retirement to supervise this company was another rumor I read about, and this might explain why this company existed only a few years? :::

Aguest
contributor

Re: Northwest Silverware Manufacturing Company?

Post by Aguest »

More specifically the tenure may have been 1865-1871 and the company building may have been burned down in the Great Chicago Fire and it did not re-open, so that could also explain why the company was in existence for only a few years ::: Didn't they blame that fire on a cow bumping into a lantern?
can't find any more information :::
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Best of luck. Sure would be nice if you can establish the origin. Pittsburgh, Chicago, & San Francisco are only a few of the big conflagrations that make local historical documentation problematic. Filling in the gaps is always worthwhile. If you can add any more photos for the record, please do so.
silverly

Post by silverly »

The information that I can gather has the Northwestern Silverware Mnfg Co incorporated in Cook County, Illinois from 1867 to at least 1873. Listed in the 1867 Chicago Directory with Charles Comstock as the President, Joseph Barker Secretary and Lyman J Gage Treasurer at 483 State Street.
silverly

Post by silverly »

silverly wrote:The information that I can gather has the Northwestern Silverware Mnfg Co incorporated in Cook County, Illinois from 1867 to at least 1873.
I believe that I misinterpreted what I read about this company's years of incorporation. They were merely on a list of companies that were incorporated in the 1866 to 1873 time frame. They did incorporate in 1867, and I am only able to find them in the 1867 Chicago Directory.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

VETERAN SILVERSMITH DEAD

Maj. James T. P. Bucklin Passes on After Suffering from Poor Health for Two Years

Providence, R. I., April 12.—Major James T. P. Bucklin, one of the veteran silversmiths of this city, a Civil War veteran, former harbor master here for eight years, and at one time inspector of provisions, died last Tuesday morning at his home, 8 Arnold St., in the house where he was born 83 years ago. He had been in poor health for nearly two years and had been confined to his home most of that time.

Major Bucklin was a son of William and Mary (Church) Bucklin and was the youngest of a family of 13 children. He was educated in the public schools of Providence and later served an apprenticeship to the trade of silversmith with the Gorham Mfg. Co. at its old plant on N. Main and Steeple Sts. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted as a private in 1861 in the First Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry, and, after taking part in the first battle of Bull Run, he returned with his regiment. At the call for volunteers to serve three years, he led in raising Company A, Fourth Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry. His soldierly qualities quickly won him promotion and, before the end of 1861 he had risen to the rank of major. He fought with the Fourth Regiment in the battles of Roanoke Island, Newbern, Fort Macon, South Mountain, Antietam, iirst battle of Fredericksburg, siege of Norfolk, Hill's Point, Petersburg and Weldon Railroad. When the mine at Petersburg was exploded. Major Bucklin charged up the hill with his men and entered the crater. There they were subjected to Confederate fire from three sides and the regiment was partially wiped out.

At the close of the war he went to Chicago and entered the employ of the Northwestern Silverware Co., where he remained several years. Returning to Providence about 1875, he accepted a position of weigher and measurer in the Custom House. He was harbor master of Providence from 1885-1890 and again from 1898-1901, and was inspector of provisions from 1893-1896. He was an active Republican. He was a member of the Loyal Legion, and for 12 years was quartermaster of Rodman Post No. 12, Grand Army, and in 1904 its commander. He was a member of the Providence Veteran Firemen's Association, the Providence Athletic Association and the Corinthian Yacht Club.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 16th April 1919

A more comprehensive report can be found here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 14#p153914

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

If I read that full report right, he should go back to Providence in 1872 which is consistent with the Chicago Fire being October 1871. Seems a good indication the company ceased operations as previously noted. A great story to go with a great find! And a new mark on the map.
silverly

Post by silverly »

James T P Bucklin is listed in the 1870 Providence City Directory as a Custom House Inspector and the same in the 1870 U S Federal Census again in Providence, RI.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Really quite an amazing character, and I have noticed that many silversmiths of the 18th and 19th centuries were extremely involved in community service, and the art of silversmithing seems to fall into that category; it looks as if he could have been a leader in any field he chose, so perhaps he was the driving force behind the N.W S.W. MFG Co.

I noted how the only periods are "N.W" and "S.W" so I think these are abbreviations for the full words "Northwest" and "Silverware"...
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Whoops meant "Northwestern" and "Silverware" - and also, this must be the person who had come out of retirement to head the Northwestern Silverware Manufacturing Company, or at least most probably it was this person, is what I assume after reading this comprehensive report.
silverly

Post by silverly »

James H Hoes came out of retirement in 1867 and was made manager and superintendent of Northwestern Silverware Manufacturing Company where he remained until 1869 according to his biography. https://books.google.com/books?id=v7YyA ... go&f=false
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

James H. Hoes

James H. Hoes left his father’s home at the age of fourteen, and started on his life-task in the year 1835.
He set out from Kinderhook, N. Y.—his native town—and went to Towanda on foot.
Having decided to go into the jewelry business, he applied to the best watchmaker in the place for a situation, and after entreating him to give him an opportunity of learning the trade, James succeeded in getting employment.
Through his industry and tact Mr. Hoes gained the good wishes and esteem of Mr. Langford, his employer. At the end of a year he offered to give him a share in the business, having already gradually promoted him to high positions.
In 1840 they both prepared to remove to New York, and enter into business there, but as sickness prevented Mr. Langford from carrying out his plans, Hoes became superintendent of a concern at Oswego and after going to Binghampton, where for two years he did business on his own account, he returned to Oswego and bought out Mr. Wilson, his former employer.
Young Mr. Hoes was thus, by his own unaided exertions, in possession of the finest establishment in that part of the country.
Having married, and removed his business to Danville, he continued in his labors at that place for eight years, at the end of which time he resolved to try his fortune in the West. He went to Milwaukee, and from there to Chicago. He bought the stock of Hoard & Avery, and began business in the Garden City. Here, after a period of unexampled success, he sold out, in 1867, to one of his former partners, and retired from active life to enjoy the fortune which he had so honorably accumulated. But absolute retirement soon proving impossible, he finally accepted the management of the Northwestern Silverware Company.
In social life Mr. Hoes has always been considered a just and charitable man.
His circle of acquaintances, which comprise the most distinguished and honored citizens of Chicago, unite alike in their praise of his private and professional character.

Source: The Great Conflagration: Chicago: Its Past, Present and Future. - James Washington Sheahan and George Putnam Upton - 1872

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

silverly wrote:
silverly wrote:The information that I can gather has the Northwestern Silverware Mnfg Co incorporated in Cook County, Illinois from 1867 to at least 1873.
I believe that I misinterpreted what I read about this company's years of incorporation. They were merely on a list of companies that were incorporated in the 1866 to 1873 time frame. They did incorporate in 1867, and I am only able to find them in the 1867 Chicago Directory.
22 February 1867 In an act to incorporate Northwestern Silverware Manufacturing Company found in "Private Laws of the State of Illinois passed by the General Assembly...Volume 2" the following names were mentioned: P H Willard, H D Titsworth, T P Hart, H W Hinsdale, L I Gage, I C Adams, and O R W Lull.

https://books.google.com/books?id=3sdGA ... 22&f=false
silverly

Re: Northwest Silverware Manufacturing Company - NWSW Mfg. Co.

Post by silverly »

From A Guide to the City of Chicago: Its Public Buildings, Places ... - Page49 1868:

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”