Help wit hallmark and history of silver spoon Washington family crest

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Cwitt75

Help wit hallmark and history of silver spoon Washington family crest

Post by Cwitt75 »

Hi! I found this spoon mixed in with a lot of other sterling spoons at a thrift store, they were all put together in a grab bag type thing. The handle of the spoon is the Washington family crest, the words below in the banner say "Exitus acta Probat" and below this "Washington." On the backside it has 3 hallmarks that are hard for me to decipher with the word Sterling beside them as well as "patented" -this stamp looks newer (added after original manufacture I think) and in a more modern font. I have searched the Mount Vernon site as well as other searches concerning the crest and looked at Kovels, I cannot find any silver ware like this with the crest, I am wondering whether this was possibly used within the Washington household or was a souvenir spoon. I have looked at multiple souvenir spoons and cannot find a like item. This spoon looks to me like a grapefruit spoon, not a souvenir spoon. Any help or insight is appreciated.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help wit hallmark and history of silver spoon Washington family crest

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links or thumbnails.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Trev.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”