Please help to Id this Hallmark

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Johnwensf

Please help to Id this Hallmark

Post by Johnwensf »

I have been trying to find out the maker of this silver bowl with not much luck. Please help. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Please help to Id this Hallmark

Post by Traintime »

Extreme curvature of the wings makes this tricky, but possibly look at Meriden Britannia or (less likely) Old Newbury Crafters marks. M-B may have an M over your bird's head if you can spot it. M-B is here, but variants occur: http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_M3.html
But don't be surprised if someone comes back later with a better answer.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums.

Your bowl was made by International Silver, marked with the old Meriden Brittania trademark - can tell you from experience that pieces with this mark and the 'WD', 'WB', etc. prefixes on the production codes date to the mid 20th century.

Should be noted that Old Newbury Crafters never used the griffin or eagle trademark on their production, Rainwater clearly states this, and it has been verified many times by Old Newbury...

~Cheryl
Johnwensf

Post by Johnwensf »

thank you very much for the information. I was looking at Meriden Brittania but did not see the m on top. I was wondering it may be a fake mark, but it seemed quite well made and heavy (680g). Now it will have its place in my mom's china cabinet. Thanks.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”