A silver beaker by Udall & Ballou

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

A silver beaker by Udall & Ballou

Post by Granmaa »

Here is a plain silver beaker with the name Udall and Ballou. Can anyone tell me what date this is from and anything about the makers?

Miles

ImageImage
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Udall and Ballou, New York, New York ( 5th ave. & 57th street ). A famous and upscale retailer. They were in business as early as 1900, might still be in business, not sure.
The mark on the left is probably the maker's mark. A possibility is Mathews & Prior, New York, New York.
I'm short of time right now, will do some more checking when I get back.

Pat.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I'm not positive about Mathews & Prior. Here's what Rainwater's has to say about them:

Pat.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thankyou very much Patrick.
The mark for Mathews & Prior seems to be identical. Can you suggest a date for this piece?

Miles
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I did some more checking around, but could not find any more information on Mathews & Prior. Rainwater's is probably correct about them being out of business by 1904.

Found a little more information on Udall & Ballou. They were founded in 1888. In addition to their 5th Avenue store in New York they also had locations in Palm Beach, Florida, Newport, Rhode Island and at rue Lafayette, Paris, France. The firm closed in the 1940's during WWII.

Pat.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thanks Patrick, you've been really helpful.
So my cup was made from 1888-1904?

Miles
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Yes, I believe your cup was made from 1888-1904. I found the new information on Udall & Ballou on this site:
http://www.hancocks-london.com/acatalog/biographies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Patrick, nice resource!
silverly

Post by silverly »

The founders of Udall & Ballou appear likely to be Frank O Ballou an Iowan, and Herbert R Ballou a New Yorker.
The two of them are listed with Udall & Ballou in The Newport Directory, by Samson, Murdoch & Co, Copyright 1890.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I suspect that the Ballou's are the brothers Frederick Bissell and Herbert Ralph. Both were born in New York, but made their way to Independence IA, were Fred was chief agent of McCormick Harvesting Machine Co. and Herbert his assistant. The latter married Louise Marsh Udall in 1889. Both brothers died in New York, Fred in 1918 and Herbert in 1907. I have not found who the Udall principle was, but by 1913 controlling interest in the company was held by the Barthman family, who had several jewelry business in New York City.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Frederick does not appear to have had an interest in the New York firm, seems to have stayed behind and prospered in Iowa.
History of Black Hawk County, Iowa, and its people John C. Hartman 1915 wrote:F. B. Ballou is actively engaged in business as a member of the firm of Ballou & Smart, buying, selling and trafficking in engines, threshing machines and attachments, whose establishment is located at the corner of Duryea and Rock Island avenues in Waterloo. His birth occurred in Wyoming county, New York, in 1850, and he supplemented his preliminary education by an academic course of study in his native state. In 1867, when a youth of seventeen years, he came to Waterloo, Iowa, and for four years was employed in the City Mills, now a part of the Union Mill Company. Subsequently he went to Charles City, Floyd county, Iowa, and there rented and operated a mill for two years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Waterloo and for three years remained in the service of the Leavitt & Johnson Bank, while subsequently he went to La Porte City, this county, being there employed as a grain buyer for two years. After returning to Waterloo he spent a short time with an implement firm and then went to Independence, Buchanan county, this state, where he worked for one year in the office of the McCormick Machine Company and was afterward employed as general agent for a period of sixteen years. directed activity, resulting in success, and he has long been numbered among the prosperous and representative citizens of the community.

At the end of that time, in 1898, Mr. Ballou again returned to Waterloo, here acting as secretary of the Cascaden Manufacturing Company until that concern discontinued business in 1910. Since that time he has associated himself with F- R. Smart and has built up an extensive enterprise in the buying and selling of engines, threshing machines and attachments. He is likewise the secretary and a stockholder in the Home Improvement Company of Waterloo, a director of the People's Building & Loan Association of Waterloo and owns a number of properties in the city. His business career has been characterized by intense and well directed activity, resulting in success, and he has long been numbered among the prosperous and representative citizens of the community.

In 1883 Mr. Ballou was united in marriage to Miss Ellen F. Hubbard. who was born in Ohio, came to Iowa at the time of her mariage and passed away in 1904, leaving two children. Frederick H., who was born in 1885 and is a graduate of Stevens Institute of Technology of Hoboken, New Jersey, is now a mechanical engineer in the service of the Great Western Sugar Company of Denver, Colorado. Lois K., whose birth occurred in 1888, is a graduate of the department of domestic science in the Iowa State Teachers' College of Cedar Falls. Mr. Ballou gives his political allegiance to the republican party and fraternally is identified with the Masons, belonging to the Mystic Shrine. His religious faith is that of the Episcopal church. In his business affairs he is always found reliable and he stands for the progressive element in citizenship and for trustworthiness in every relation.

also
1906 - http://books.google.com/books?id=8bMaAA ... 22&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1914 - http://books.google.com/books?id=NSoRAA ... 22&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silverly

Post by silverly »

Considering the firms Palm Beach, Florida location, it was interesting to note that Herbert and Louisa's eldest son Charles was born in Florida in about 1889.

Herbert's occupation was listed as silversmith in 1880 and 1900.

Frank O Udall was born 1 December 1864 in Dubuque, Iowa. His father Charles E was born in Quechee, Vermont. Frank's given occupation was jewelry manufacturer. His is the only Udall name that comes up in connection with Udall & Ballou. But again that just makes him one of the likely founders.
silverly

Re: A silver beaker by Udall & Ballou

Post by silverly »

Excerpted from the Jeweler’s Circular and Horological Review, Volume 39, August 1899:

Mathews & Prior is the name of a new firm who recently started in the manufacture of a regular line of silver hollow ware and novelties, exclusively for the legitimate jewelry trade. The offices are at 245 W 28th St, New York, and the firm consists of Frank M Mathews and Charles M Prior. Both members of the firm, as well as their traveling salesman, Fred W Cook, are well known to the jewelry trade, Mr Mathew having been in it for 14 years, Mr Prior for 18 years and Mr Cook for five years. The firm makes a specialty of designing special and presentation work and are pleased to furnish estimates to dealers interested in such work.
quinncorp

Post by quinncorp »

A very late (by 11 years) reply, but I am sharing info on
Udall & Ballou:

http://www.thebest-of.info/jq/nypd-jfq1918.htm

My grandfather solved a major
jewelry heist case involing Udall & Ballou,
in 1913 when he was a top NYPD Detective.

See original docs regarding that, on the above link.

Best regards, Joe Quinn Jr, NYC
Jan 2017
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for sharing these interesting details regarding your grandfather's role in solving the Udall & Ballou robbery case with us, it's appreciated.

Udall & Ballou - New York - 1898

Trev.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”