This fancy spoon appears to be from Birmingham. Can anyone tell me anything else?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
uknowme

This fancy spoon appears to be from Birmingham. Can anyone tell me anything else?

Post by uknowme »

I apologize for the quality of the picture. It appears to me that there are three marks. The first looks like a lion; the second an anchor; and the third is unrecognizable... perhaps a letter "G". Any ideas of what kind of spoon this is (maybe for straining tea??) or help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

user701
contributor

Re: This fancy spoon appears to be from Birmingham. Can anyone tell me anything else?

Post by user701 »

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: This fancy spoon appears to be from Birmingham. Can anyone tell me anything else?

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Bob,

I can offer a few more details on your spoon which has already been correctly identified as being made by Gorham of Providence Rhode Island.

The pattern is known as Cambridge which was introduced in 1899. This particular perforated spoon (there were many different perforated types produced in the Cambridge pattern) is known as a bonbon spoon, and I understand was used to scoop bonbons from a bonbon dish. Does yours have any signs of gold gilding to the bowl? Most I've seen do, but I don't know if they were available both with and without the gilt.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”