Possibly Scandinavian Beaker

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neurorocker

Possibly Scandinavian Beaker

Post by neurorocker »

I'm very unsure of the country of origin of this cup. It is marked 950 silver. Weighs precisely 150 grams. Based on the flower motif, I think it could be Danish, but I could use some suggestions. Many thanks!

neurorocker

Re: Possibly Scandinavian Beaker

Post by neurorocker »

I just realized I may have been way off base here. Could this be Mexican? Possibly Raphael Melendez? If others agree, can the moderator please move this to Mexican marks?

http://www.925-1000.com/mx_rMelendez_X.html
liviu1

Post by liviu1 »

Hi. It is japanese. Regards, Liv.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

neurorocker wrote:I just realized I may have been way off base here.
not fully out of way. I think that Georg Jensen have inspired. http://www.georgjensen.com/da-dk/soelv/ ... ab_3529375
:-)
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

The maker's mark, which is none too clear in the posted photo, appears to be one or two letters of the alphabet. This does not rule out the possibility of a Japanese maker, but it certainly does not offer proof positive of country of origin, either.

I would still say Mexico is a strong possibility. My impression is that the Jensenish inspiration would have been more pronounced in Mexico than in Japan during the time frame that 950 marks appeared on silver from both countries. For that matter, I have seen plenty of this leaf-and-berry design on jewellery hailing from the Great White North, although certainly the item in question is not from there.
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

This may be a clearer picture of the hallmark. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this so far...The Jensen image by hose_DK is very close in pattern and at least is probably the inspiration as you said.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

To my eye the marks and quality are atypical of Mexican silver, but consistent with Japanese manufacture - though very much Scandinavian-inspired, believe it is most likely mid 20th century, made in Japan for the American market...

~Cheryl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I agree with Cheryl, the marks seem more consistent with Japanese manufacture than any other location. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure that the design is by Alphonse LaPaglia, dating from his days at International silver. Believe I had a couple of these goblets with Lapaglia/International marks a couple of decades back but can't locate an image of them, however, here are images of both a LaPaglia pitcher and punch bowl with matching patterns.
Regards, Tom

ps. I've moved the topic out of Mexican over to the American section, it may not be American, but at least its roots lie here.
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Wow! That is definitely the pattern. Thanks, everyone for exploring this one with me!
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Similar beaded floral 'blossom' bands appear on LaPaglia pieces for Jensen, USA, prior to his involvement with International, and are also found on pieces by LaPaglia contemporary Walter Meyer (post-Jensen, USA), as well as on pieces bearing the first mark on the page linked, tentatively attributed to Hamilton Silver Co., Inc.: Info Sought

Having seen this same Scandinavian-inspired motif on other pieces bearing just the typical Japanese sans-serif 'SILVER 950' or 'STERLING 950' marks, as well as similar, if not identical, maker's marks with the same quality marks on typical Japanese silver, personally have little doubt about the origin of this piece...

~Cheryl

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”