1830 Birmingham shaving brush?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
reboulder

1830 Birmingham shaving brush?

Post by reboulder »

Hi!
I am a total newbie to sterling silver but have tried to decipher the marks on this old shaving brush ...
Using information found here and on another site or two, I believe the marks below indicate the brush was made in Birmingham in 1830 but would sure appreciate confirmation by someone who is knowledgeable.
There is also a mark on the opposite side of the tube from those above and I wonder if it might be a maker's mark ...
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: 1830 Birmingham shaving brush?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Not Birmingham, but Providence, Rhode Island. See Gorham at: http://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html

Trev.
reboulder

Post by reboulder »

Trev, thank you SO much for your prompt response. I would never have guessed it was from Providence, RI! I am assuming the three marks place it in the c. 1863 - 1890's and wonder if that fourth mark might indicate the year 1888 and wonder whether you would agree. Many thanks again for your help!

Dick
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Dick,

The marks look good (to me) for the period stated. Hopefully someone better versed in American marks than me can offer their opinion, especially that of the other mark.

Trev.
reboulder

Post by reboulder »

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, Trev. On closer examination, I think I am wrong about that fourth mark so will welcome comments from other forum members.
Thank you again!
Dick
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Hi Dick,

There are only two Gorham date letter makes in an oval, I'm leaning more towards 1889 but I really can't see much of a profile there.

Anyone else?
Warren
reboulder

Post by reboulder »

Many thanks for your input, Loren. It is an oval shape but the mark is definitely not clear at all. I wonder if it might have any purpose other than as a date mark.
Dick
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Not impossible that it's a retailer's mark, not one in my limited experience that I have seen.

Good luck in your search Dick!
Warren

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”