HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kjonos

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Post by kjonos »

god do i hope this worked is the factory or hand done ? i know its lunt, about what age?
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2102152877.jpg&s=x4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2102233599.jpg&s=x4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dmay

Post by dmay »

The marks help date the piece somewhat-the mark of Rogers Lunt and Bowlen was used between 1901-1935. I think you will find that the shamrock design on your piece was not a pattern, but rather an added engraving. Can you post a photo showing the entire front of the piece-it is difficult to tell from your photos what the pattern might have been.
kjonos

Post by kjonos »

dmay thank youvery much. did you see on the back mid handle, its says bolger bros. is that the retailers mark? and hope this is a better picture

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/232245269.jpg&s=x4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neruda

Post by Neruda »

Bogle Brothers were a jewelers at White River Junction, Vermont. The company was originally founded by Byron Leslie & Clarence Clinton Bogle.

From Encyclopedia Vermont Biography: A Series of Authentic Biographical Sketches of the Representative Men of Vermont and Sons of Vermont in Other States. Dodge. Burlington: Ullery Publishing Company, 1912:

"Clarence Clinton BOGLE, wholesale jeweler, White River Junction [Windsor County, Vermont], was born 28 February 1852 at West Dover [Windham County, Vermont], son of Moses J. and Fidelia BOGLE. Educated in the schools of West Dover, Wilmington [Windham County, Vermont]; the Methodist Seminary, Montpelier [Washington County, Vermont], and Powers Institute, Bernardston [Franklin County], Massachusetts. Was a public school teacher; began business life as a clerk in a West Dover store, and was for several years traveling salesman. In 1881 began his present wholesale jewelry business by driving a team, carrying goods which he sold in retail stores.
Later formed partnership with his brother, Byron Leslie, and a store was
opened at White River Junction."

"Byron Leslie BOGLE, wholesale jewelry merchant, White River Junction, was born 09 June 1863 at West Dover....
In 1883 entered the employ of his brother, Clarence C. BOGLE, then in the wholesale jewelry business in West Lebanon [Grafton County], New Hampshire; in 1884 the business was moved to White River Junction, Mr. BOGLE continuing with his brother as bookkeeper and manager of the store; in 1889 they formed the firm of Bogle Brothers, now one of the
largest and most widely known jewelry houses in New England."

I believe the company continued a least until the late 1920s.
dmay

Post by dmay »

The shape of the spoon looks like Lunt's Windsor pattern, which was first introduced in 1883. It may be that the engraving was a specific pattern that used the Windsor shape, but I have not seen this particular pattern named.
kjonos

Post by kjonos »

Neruda
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, that was beyond the call of duty.
what a great form here!!!

Dmay thank you too very much.
silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

Just a note of interest. Your pattern is very similar to the Frank M. Whiting pattern "Oxalis" introduced in 1887.

Silvercrown

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”