16 1/2" Twisted Handle Spoon Mark is Twisting My Brain

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lilshuggy

16 1/2" Twisted Handle Spoon Mark is Twisting My Brain

Post by lilshuggy »

This long spoon is 16 1/2" long with a twisted handle. It is shaped like a long, slim ladle but the bowl is only 1 1/4" x 2". Is it American? If not do what is your best guess as to country? It is marked STERLING and has a date of "Pat.-O.95". Does that mean patent 1895? The makers mark in indiscernable. What do you think? I tried to scan this but the curved handle made the mark underneath blurry. Also, what do you think this was used for or what is an official name of this shaped spoon? Have I asked enough questions to make you nuts or what!

Email me at lisajanejacobs@yahoo.com and thanks for all of your help.

dmay

Post by dmay »

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it is American. It is made by the company Dominick & Haff of New York (1868-1928); the mark is a square followed by a circle followed by a diamond. There is a picture of the mark on this site under American Marks/C-E/Dominick & Haff.

2. The spoon is a condiment ladle; it would have been placed in a silver or crystal jam jar or mustard pot. The handle is curved so that it would rest on the rim of the jar/pot and hang out over the top for easier gripping.

3. The patent mark means that the design/pattern was patented. I cannot be positive, but your conclusion that it dates to 1895 would be consistent with both the design and the dates that D&H were in business.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”