Am stumped on who made this thimble. Please help?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gracie

Am stumped on who made this thimble. Please help?

Post by gracie »

Hi, I am Gracie and just joined. Going through some old estate pieces of family. I need help on this thimble. There are initials and what looks to be a backwards ampersand or something. It is marked sterling. The top of the thimble has what looks to be a plain cross type of marking. Nothing on the inside that I can see. Right under the 6 is what I am talking about. I have researched for two days and all over this site and others for a marking of this kind but haven't come across one. Can anyone help me out, please? Thank you.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Gracie,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm probably way off base on this one, but check out this post and see how your marks compare with Pat's images.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards Trev.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Thanks so much, Trev! It sorta looks like it, but the part that comes down, the bar is just a little crooked. But the other drawing-like pictures seemed to resemble it. I think mine has a little "hook" type thingie coming up at the bottom. I'm not sure at all!! I have a headache from doing so much reading...I'm obsessed!

I have another picture that's much better, but it looks like I can't post it, right? Wish I could, it's really clear.

Thanks.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Gracie and Trev.

Your mark does look similar to the one I posted in that thread.
Many jewelry manufacturer's also made items like cigarette cases, thimbles and small novelties.
Although my reference does not specifically mention thimbles for this firm, it's still possible that they produced them

Pat.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Here is a better picture, a close-up. I mean I have looked and looked. Next stop is the library I guess.

gracie

Post by gracie »

Thanks, Patrick! I think you all may be onto something here. But do you see the hook where it kind of comes up on the right? That's what is bothering me. But I am going to research this, somehow. It sure is the closest thing I've come across, however.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Gracie.

Agree there are differences in the marks. Your mark could belong to a different manufacturer.
Have checked my refences for another possibility, but no luck.

Pat.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Thanks again, Patrick. I don't' know much about silver. Could I have a goldmine on my hands, or a silvermine, tee-hee?

I can't for the life of me understand this, or do you people here run across this a lot? It's a very small thimble, perhaps that of a child, sz 6 or really small hands; it acutally fits mine somewhat. Could this be hand scrolled or am I really out in left field now? Wishful thinking.......

Have any suggestions for me? I appreciate all your researching.

It's also really tarnished. Are you supposed to clean these things or leave them?

Gracie
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Gracie.

There are a lot of thimble collectors out there and many belong to clubs or similar organizations.
You might try googling thimble clubs or societies for contact information.
Collectors are generally an amiable bunch and usually very helpful.

Pat.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Thanks again for all your help, Pat, for going out of your way to help me. And everyone else, too!

Gracie
carling
co-admin

Post by carling »

I have been out of action for some time so apologies for a very late contribution to this thread. The mark - known as the "fouled anchor" - on the thimble above is that of Stern Brothers of Philadelphia. The figure 6 is a US size number. The anchor mark dates the thimble to 1890 - 1908. The company used two other marks (SBC and GSC) pictured below during its history (1890-1933). It became Goldsmith, Stern & Co in 1913 until it folded in 1933.

At the moment I can only find a silver with gold band and two 10K gold thimbles (the latter marked under the tops) to illustrate the progression of marks. The thimbles are also marked with size numbers - 8, 8 and 10 respectively.

Here's a brief history of the company:

In 1868, the firm of Stern Brothers was established in Philadelphia. Within a few years, the company expanded and relocated to New York City and entered the diamond and jewellery manufacturing business. From 1890, Stern Brothers used a "fouled anchor" (an anchor entwined with a rope) as their thimble trademark. From the period 1908-1912, the company sometimes used an "S" as its trademark with a "B" in the upper curve and a "C" in the lower curve of the "S". From 1913, the company used a squared "G" with an "S" and a "C" inside after August Goldsmith became a partner. The company shut down and ceased operations in 1933 following the stock market crash of 1929.

On dating Stern Brothers thimbles, Gay Ann Rogers in her book, "American Silver Thimbles" (Haggerston Press, London, 1989) states, "The anchor is significant only when it appears alone. This tends to designate thimbles made from the 1890s to the early 1900s. Later the anchor was stamped in addition to the initials of the company, or, after 1908, the company initials alone were sometimes stamped on the thimble. These are not hard and fast rules, however, and exceptions can be found."

Regards/carling
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Good to see you back Carling.

Pat.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Thank you, Carling. The research was very thoughtful and enlightening. I"m very appreciative.

gracie

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”