Unknown Mark on Teapot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tandj

Unknown Mark on Teapot

Post by tandj »

I have a very solid and detailed fancy teapot with hallmark like markings on the bottom that I can't seem to find any info on so any help greatly appreciated. The mark is as follows on top is a mark of an arm holding a cross, likely a celtic cross then, "H A & S" each letter is in a block hallmark like form then, 6863 2, then a V like indentation.

Hope the images turn out ok, my first registered day for this forum.

Thanks!

Trish
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Your maker is Atkin Bros

Marks used:- H.A, HA (I confess that I have not seen the HA &S mark before and suspect it is that one used earlier than 1858; that is, your piece of Silverplate would age between 1841 and 1858).

Trademark:- A hand grasping plumes

Henry Atkin set up as a spoon maker in 1841. He had three sons (Henry, Edward and Frank), who following his death took over the company. Atkin Brothers were a multi-product Sheffield company producing good quality items in silver and plate (the mark used on EPNS was HA EA FA), from 1853 to 1958. The firm had a retail outlet in London, where they also entered silver marks. The firm was acquired by C J Vander, in 1958.

Flatware bearing their maker’s mark is generally Sheffield marked, well made and in the traditional patterns.

Cheers

Waylander

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”