Silver Crystal Vase???...Halmarks...Need Help Please...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Jetstream

Silver Crystal Vase???...Halmarks...Need Help Please...

Post by Jetstream »

I'm new here and need some help finding out what I have. I think it's a flower holder...but I really don't know.

...the height is 10 1/4 inches with the vase and 6 inches without. The base is 4 1/2 inches in diameter.

I tried to look up the hallmarks, but mine has numbers instead of pictures. Is it silver or silver plate?...and is it indeed a flower holder or something else entirely? Thank you very much in advance for your replies...Z
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

It is Silverplate, made by the large Sheffield manufacturers Walker and Hall.

Trademark:- W&H within a flag

Beginning life in the mid 1800’s Walker & Hall were one of the largest manufacturers and retailers of silver and plate from the late 19th Century and first half of the 20th Century. Their products can be found with London, Sheffield and Chester hallmarks. The original partnership, including George Walker, traded as Walker & Co.. Henry Hall joined the partnership in 1848, the firm was renamed Walker, Coulson & Hall, before becoming just Walker & Hall in 1853.

The name is still used for retail outlets, although they were taken over by Mappin & Webb in the 1960’s. They were top quality machine-made producers of all major flatware patterns and canteens and their products are easily recognised by their distinctive W&H mark within a flag.

Waylander

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”