Silver Mark Help Needed - Gothic Toast Rack - Is it English?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
morris

Silver Mark Help Needed - Gothic Toast Rack - Is it English?

Post by morris »

I have been going through some bits n pieces I inherited a few years ago. I am no expert on silver and can't identify origin or marks on this toast rack. If anyone can shed any light on it I would be most appreciative. I was assuming it was English but that's only a guess in light of its owner's background. I know my pictures are not the best but hopefully enough. From right to left is written 27N then a series of makers symbols starting with what looks like a Trumpet, and ending with initials EP.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

This might help.....(borrrowed from http://www.antiquesilverspoons.co.uk/canteenmakers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

"""James Dixon & Sons

Marks used:- JD&S, JWD

Trademark:- trumpet & banner

James Dixon established his company in 1806, becoming "& Sons" in 1835. They produced a large variety of goods, from Britannia metal articles, EPNS, to good quality silver.

Their JD&S mark is easily mistaken for James Deakin & Sons, however in the absence of trademarks the "JD&S" of James Dixon & Sons is always on a single line.

The company acquired the firm of William Hutton & Sons Ltd. in 1930 and it remained in the hands of the Dixon family until 1976."""

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”