Psuedo marks and WN

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

Psuedo marks and WN

Post by mk209 »

I really like this fiddle pattern ladle because so clearly the marks were punched in a way to imitate real ones from a distance. It’s made of a base metal and when polished really looks the part. Anyone know who the maker is? WN is stamped plus the psuedo marks. I think it will date to around 1820.

Please nobody mention about taking pics in better (daylight) we won’t see the sun up here in the Arctic for another month! Haha

Matt
Traintime
contributor

Re: Psuedo marks and WN

Post by Traintime »

That's a pretty good job of throwing out confusing marks. Reading right to left, mark 2 appears like an "r" turned sideways as seen in the British marks section on a sample of genuine sterling (in the embedded comparison of plate and solid). Got any idea what the other three might be simulating?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Gotta be a fluke, but really wierd how closely these marks would match up to the world's worst worn down set for William Needham Sheffield 1909. The right shapes to go with the "r" code shape. The "WN" is not too far off. Now my eyes are buggin' out.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Same worn punchmark on an 1817 spoon, can now only assume this ladle to have been made by William Nixon.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”