English R.S & Co. Just after some general info

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
wagamama

English R.S & Co. Just after some general info

Post by wagamama »

Hi all happy new year!

I have been given this cute little toast rack / egg cup and wanted to find out some more about it but despite the clear marks I have come unstuck.

I read it as:

R.S & Co
S in shield
EPNS - this is the only mark I actually understand!
5 7 6

Does anyone know the company, what the S means and on the spoon pictured the additional C might mean and the 576? Is there anything that would indicate the age of the piece? Thanks for any help!

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: English R.S & Co. Just after some general info

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

RS&Co is R Stevenson & Co of Sheffield. They are noted elsewhere as having been active 1894-1900. We normally expect that a single letter like the S indicates the home town of the manufacturer, inthis case Sheffield. 576 is most likely an internal factory identification such as a pattern number. I have no idea of the significance of the "C" on the spoon.

Phil
wagamama

Re: English R.S & Co. Just after some general info

Post by wagamama »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! I'm not sure how I missed this, in fact I think I even saw that image in my searches but the font looked so different I must have dismissed it!

Thanks for finding that, quite a short lived company then but guess that helps a lot with the date being narrowed down to around 6 years?! :)

Thanks again

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”