William Hutton engraved dessert spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Spoonhunter

William Hutton engraved dessert spoon?

Post by Spoonhunter »

Totally new to reading hallmarks and confused by searching out the marks on this spoon I have had sitting in my pen pot for a few years!
Have tried my best but the marks on this pretty little spoon, approx 160cm (6 6/16") seem to point to it being William Hutton (and or Sons), the marks are a little difficult to read, but have taken the best photo I could, as the the engraving or damage seems to obscure them and I really can't make them out.

Any help would be appreciated, if I'm in the wrong place I'm happy to bump across to some where else in forum. I'm here because most references to WH seem to point to Sheffield.

Thanks

dognose
Site Admin

Re: William Hutton engraved dessert spoon?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, your spoon is by William Hutton & Sons of Sheffield, but it is not silver, that is why there are no hallmarks, only maker's marks.

See: https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_H3.html

and: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24438

Trev.
Spoonhunter

Post by Spoonhunter »

Thank you for your rapid response, hopefully my next post will be silver. I had got confused and seen the first of your links to the platers marks, but the second link that explained the families status as “platers” clears it up properly and I feel I understand a bit more. I was convinced I was seeing things that weren’t there trying to make it fit. Appreciate your feedback.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I was convinced I was seeing things that weren’t there trying to make it fit.
That reminds me of one of my favourite Sherlock Holmes quotes:

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Source: A Scandal in Bohemia - Arthur Conan Doyle

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”