UNKNOWN HALLMARK Sterling? LION PASSANT

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
abclovell

UNKNOWN HALLMARK Sterling? LION PASSANT

Post by abclovell »

This piece has confused me a bit....The lion passant would lead me to believe it is sterling but I see copper peeking through the decorative grapes and basket....Any information on the hallmark and the silver content would be appreciated!.....Am I correct in identifying this as as a tea caddy?....Thank you!

Traintime
contributor

Re: UNKNOWN HALLMARK Sterling? LION PASSANT

Post by Traintime »

Until we know more, putting in a link to Hanau-psuedos (silver alloys) for comparisons if needed: https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Liberal marks description: Gothic D; lion walking left; dual-headed eagle; cross pattee, non-Maltese.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

At this point, I think we could discount the Derby Silver Company (Insico) as a source, even though the "D-in-octagon (irregular)" would nearly match theirs.
abclovell

Post by abclovell »

I actually was thinking Hanau but I didn't see an exact match....So not silver?....Tea caddy?...Thanks for the quick replies!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Remember, not all are identified. If any one matches, then all others that are not official are unknown psuedos designated [npr]. In addition, some marks were shared and potentially in reversed versions. So far, I see two that might be Hanau-psuedo...cross and/or lion. Other versions of eagles have been common, and letters are fairly regular. But this is all just one potential source. And European silver alloy grades can be pretty darn close to coin & Sterling.
abclovell

Post by abclovell »

The copper I am seeing....Is it just on the repousse decoration and the rest may be a European silver alloy?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The marks belong to a group of marks we've seen many times on the forum. They are American silver-platers marks, most probably those of F. & M. Weintraub.

Here's a few others found at random:

Trev.
abclovell

Post by abclovell »

Thank you!....So smart!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Wow! That's an awful lot of variations in those mark designs. Did these guys cast new stamps for every piece they made?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Here's that sideways gothic letter falsity..bottom right set: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ub#p130882

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”