Art Nouveau Chatelaine Purse Hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
foxcat

Art Nouveau Chatelaine Purse Hallmark

Post by foxcat »

Hello,

I've recently acquired a silver-looking mesh chatelaine purse that was kept with a piece of anti-tarnish paper for at least several decades. I'm struggling to identify the composition of the purse as well as its maker. The only hallmark I was able to find was tiny and very difficult to read. It was located on the interior of the purse, on the reverse side of the purse's central disc. I'm posting here because I'm unsure if the purse is sterling or plated or something else.

If anyone has any idea who may have made this purse or what it is even made out of, I would greatly appreciate a tip! It's been confounding me for a week or two now.

Thanks and have a sterling (plated) day!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Art Nouveau Chatelaine Purse Hallmark

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Breveté S.G.D.G.
In French, it's: "breveté sans garantie du gouvernement" - Patented Without Guarantee of the Government".
It designates a technical patent in the U.S. sense, as opposed to trademark and design patent "déposé".
So, it`s French, but the maker cannot be identified.
Breveté S.G.D.G was abolished in 1968.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Art Nouveau Chatelaine Purse Hallmark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't think the mark is going to help too much, except, perhaps, that it may point to French manufacture.

BREVETE - SGDG (brevete - sans guarantee du gouvernment), similar, I believe, to a British 'Patent Pending' mark in offering protection to, presumably, the design or something else about the piece.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”