Unidentified marks on silver burner - 7 images

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
syburi

Unidentified marks on silver burner - 7 images

Post by syburi »

Hello

I attach photos of a burner that I bought several years back.

Hopefully someone can shed light and tell me if it is sterling silver and date of manufacture. The marks are found on all three components of this item.

Thank you.

Alan

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Unidentified marks on silver burner - 7 images

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I'm pretty sure that this cannot be silver as it would have been illegal for the London retailers to have sold it as such. It is therefore most likely to be a base metal of some sort, pewter or nickel silver for example. G W Scott & Sons were producers of basketry and leather goods and in particular of picnic baskets so this burner would have originally formed part of a picnic set.

Phil
syburi

Post by syburi »

Thanks Phil. May I know what the hallmark and other initials around it mean?
Regards
Alan
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A clipped advertisement for G.W. Scott & Sons (Gilderoy Wilson Scott) from 1888:

G.W. Scott & Sons - London - 1888

Trev.
syburi

Post by syburi »

Dear Trev

Many thanks for your help as usual. The burner must have been part of the items they sold. What year do think this burner was made? Late 19th century?

Can you shed some light on the queen's head mark and the other initials around it? Greatly appreciate your opinion on them.

Regards

Alan
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I think it likely that the burner would have been made by a third party, rather than G.W. Scott & Sons, who would have probably just assembled the parts with their basket-ware to make up picnic sets.

Date wise, I would think last quarter of the 19th/first quarter of the 20th century.

Trev.
syburi

Post by syburi »

Dear Trev

Thank you so much for the additional information.

I am very sorry but can you please help yo shed light on the marks? Dying to know more about them. I assume the queen's head to be duty mark but then why are the other hallmarks missing. Isn't duty mark used primarily for sterling silver items? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Alan
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Although you are correct in thinking that a duty mark formed (at times) part of a hallmark the mark with the head on your burner is not a duty mark and is therefore not part of a silver hallmark. It is almost certainly a trade mark of the company which made it and LL may be the initials of the company, or perhaps not as they only appear with one of the heads.

Phil
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I think your queen's head is actually the bust of Athena, at least that what it looks like to me

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”