Silver Plated Box ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
marc02

Silver Plated Box ID

Post by marc02 »

Good afternoon,

I have this box which I thought might be a tea caddy but not sure. I get the feeling it is old Sheffield Plate but I am very confused by the marks on the bottom. I have been reading some articles on the web but the more and more I read, the more confusing the marks become. My first thought was crossed keys = Henry Wilkinson & Co. I then looked at the mark in the middle, which I think is a bird and thought Pelican Works. Although I couldn't find any evidence of Henry Wilkinson & Co. being active at Pelican Works. I could only find Thomas Wilkinson & Co. active in 1832 at Pelican Works, who then relocated to the High Street in 1840. The presence of the sun stamp got me thinking that maybe Thomas Wilkinson was Henry Wilkinson's son, although couldn't find any link.

Adding to my confusion I just saw the sun mark the Mappin Brothers used on their 19th century silver plate. The sun mark on this tea caddy/box is not the same as the examples I have seen of the Mappin Brothers but it is the only one I could find. In actual fact the only thing I am sure on now, is that this thing is a silver plated box :-)). Please find images below

Many thanks

Marc
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Silver Plated Box ID

Post by dognose »

Hi Marc,

Welcome to the Forum.

Plater's marks are often a minefield, but in this case I think I can offer a likely explanation.

The first mark is indeed that of Henry Wilkinson & Co., although the use of the 'crossed keys' mark was used by several platers worldwide, the distinctive shield of Henry Wilkinson & Co. can just be made out in your image. The second mark is a 'Phoenix', the mark of Waterhouse & Co. (Waterhouse, Hatfield & Co.). Both businesses were Sheffield based and both registered those marks in 1836. In this case, what I think we have is a box made by one firm, and plated and finished by another, this was a common way of manufacturers doing business at this time. The third mark is unknown to me, but may be that a wholesaler or retailer or may perhaps represent collaboration between the firms of Wilkinson and Waterhouse.

As always, it would good to hear the thoughts of others.

Trev.
marc02

Post by marc02 »

Hello Trev,

Great to read your response. Thank you. Very interesting to know that some firms collaborated with other firms to produce objects. I have seen bits with stamped retailer marks, or import and export firms. Didn't realise businesses manufactured in this way. I would guess as Henry Wilkinson & Co. were one of the very first firms in Sheffield to acquire a plating license, they are more likely to have plated it, although they are stamped first so maybe they made the box. Probably impossible to know I guess.

Yes it would be good to clarify what the third mark represents but maybe your right about it being a wholesaler/retailer or collaboration mark. 1836 is around the age I assumed it was, although ill do some further reading see if I cant find anything more. Also what do you think it was used for? I immediately thought tea caddy, although after inspection it has no liner, no middle section and the lid isn't tight enough to keep the container sealed.

bstrgrds

Marc
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I suppose a sugar box is another possibility.

Trev.
marc02

Post by marc02 »

Hello,

Yes a sugar box is a possibility too. Unfortunately I have been unable to find the mystery sun mark anywhere, nor have I found anything on the two firms working together.

Bstrgds

Marc

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”