Newcomer - Help identifying this?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jacobm

Newcomer - Help identifying this?

Post by jacobm »

Hi, so i bought this item *see images* about a year ago in a charity shop. I believe it was in Devon but not quite sure. I've only just really started to pay attention to it and noticed hallmarks at the bottom, on further inspections and some light google research i have come to a personal conclusion that it is some sort of silver plate. I was just looking for more specifics if you guys and gals could help a novice found out what these hallmarks mean and especially the "4002" text below them.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Newcomer - Help identifying this?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your item, which is, I think, a butter dish, is electroplated as you suspected. It was made by Boardman, Glossop & Co (the Gothic letters on the manufacturer's mark are "B & G"). GS probably stands for German Silver which was a term for nickel silver, a base metal alloy, and EP is for electroplate. See http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_B2.html. "4002" is probably a pattern number or some other form of factory identification.

We prefer to see embedded pictures in posts so for those who prefer not to click on links here are a couple of your pictures cropped and resized as necessary:

Phil

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”