Russian silverware (cuttlery)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
PanzerVI

Russian silverware (cuttlery)

Post by PanzerVI »

Hey guys

Thank you for the enormous work you've been doing here regarding silver and its different trademarks, hallmarks and so forth.

I myself am a militaria (WW2 / WW1 ) digger from Romania and also a Militaria Collector of WW2 but sadly do not know much about silver hallmarks. Over the years I have unearthed some silver caps for tobacco pipes, rings etc and had to ask about their id marks. Now I have stumbled across this forum and will pay attention or seek guidance if I find more.

Recently my mother in law passed away and before she handed me and my wife a set of silverware which she said to be of russian (possibly tsarist) origin. They show marks of heavy use and bear cyrillic hallmarks.

I will attach some pictures of the various hallmarks I have identified. If not ok please tell me and I will upload them separately

Thank you kindly

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Russian silverware (cuttlery)

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum

I hope I don't disappoint you too much.

Not Russian, but Soviet marks. MHU (MNZ) refers to the alloy, the second part refers to the set price of the piece in Rubles and Kopecks.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi PantzerVI,

I am afraid my answer will disappoint you. Your cutlery is not silver and not actually Russian either. It is from the former Soviet Union and silver plated.
One of the marks is МНЦ. It stands for М for МЕДЬ (copper), Н for НИКЕДЬ (nickel) and Ц for ЦИНК (zink). An other mark shows НЕРЖ (НЕРЖАВЕЮЩАЯ СТАЛЬ) in English stainless steel. The figures are the price in rubles and kopeks.
Sorry my good man but no silver to find.
PanzerVI

Post by PanzerVI »

Hehe dognose thank you a lot

No disappointment mate was just curious. And the other one which looks like HEP and something of a logo ? If you got more info please do share.

Cheers
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

A minor amendment, МНЦ is German silver but not necessarily silver plated.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

That's the mark of the Shevchenko factory in the Ukraine. (ЗiШ - Завод iмени Шевченко)

Trev.
PanzerVI

Post by PanzerVI »

Thanks so much guys for the precious info.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Or did you mean the one with the bird symbol?

Koltchuginski Savod of Koltchugina, see: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_K.html

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”