William Hutton & Sons Dish

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
FamilySilver

William Hutton & Sons Dish

Post by FamilySilver »

Hi,

Sadly father died recently at the good old age of 95 and a half and I have inherited the family silver and treasures.

I have identified the dish below as a William Huttons and Sons dish from this website thank you but what does the A1 mean and the 27054 and does this show if it is full silver or just silver plated? If not, how can one tell.

Hope I'm doing all this right by the way!? New to the forum and will probably have more queries to follow!

Thanks in advance for help.

Jan
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: William Hutton & Sons Dish

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This is electroplated. There are 3 indications: first there is no silver hallmark; second BP stands for Britannia Plate (i.e. electroplate on Britannia metal); and third the A1 is often used by electroplaters to show the quality of the plating (A1 is better than A, etc.). In addition I don't think that Huttons used the phrase "cross arrows" on silver, although I may be wrong. 27054 is some form of factory-specific designation, possibly a pattern number.

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi FamilySilver,

Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Phil, the cross arrows on silver is not often to be found I believe, but here's an example of one case, see: British Additional Marks

Trev.
FamilySilver

Post by FamilySilver »

silvermakersmarks wrote:This is electroplated. There are 3 indications: first there is no silver hallmark; second BP stands for Britannia Plate (i.e. electroplate on Britannia metal); and third the A1 is often used by electroplaters to show the quality of the plating (A1 is better than A, etc.). In addition I don't think that Huttons used the phrase "cross arrows" on silver, although I may be wrong. 27054 is some form of factory-specific designation, possibly a pattern number.

Phil
Ah thanks Phil, sorry I've only just seen this, I thought I would get a notification if someone answered. That is very helpful, especially about the BP and the A1 #learnsomethingeveryday

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”