Spoon German Ship Line

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Spoon German Ship Line

Post by Traintime »

Recent origin..1958-1970 era. Norddeutscher Lloyd ( North German Lloyd) Ship Line topmark. Backmark for German Silverplate standard "90". Maker mark needs identification. (Maybe a Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik mark?) Thanks in advance.
Bahner
contributor

Re: Spoon German Ship Line

Post by Bahner »

Helo, maker was Koch und Bergfeld of Bremen: "KB" ligated, back to back. This "Lloyd" pattern was also made by Wilkens of Bremen. Best wishes, Bahner
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Ah yes Bahner, now I see the light! As always, Danke.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, I could have a fork from the same NDL shipping line as “Traintime”. Sadly the original images in the post have gone so no comparisons by eye are possible.

I believe though mine may be a bit older than “Traintime’s” example as there does not appear to be an obvious electroplate numerical value indicated. Also mine has the “Wilkens” company, as referred to by Bahner, as maker. I tried to research this particular maker but “Wilkens & Sons” seem to be getting in the way. I know “Wilkens” of Bremen started in the 1830’s and no doubt there were Sons but it makes dating my item difficult. I referenced NDL as starting in 1857 so does that mean my fork is from 1860, 1890, 1920 or 1940. I know that appears silly but my fork only has an indistinct worn figural mark to go with “Wilkens”. Can anyone on the forum supply a bit more substance to the Wilkens of Bremen electroplating concern? The forum does have plenty of posts referencing Wilkens (and Koch&Bergfeld, Traintime’s fork maker) as silversmiths but much less about electroplate items.
I have added the 2nd image of some electroplate marks that I found while researching my fork. Are these an earlier set of marks for Koch & Bergfeld?

Just like my fork we have no numerical electroplate value indicated but we do see a “K&B” in gothic style plus an “anchor” in a shield. Does anyone know what is written above the “anchor” in the pictorial mark? Also are there any ideas for the numbers shown in the pictures of the 2 “older” sets of marks? My fork has a 7 on while the K&B marked item, has 27 and a half on.
Sorry a final question, “Bahner“ called the pattern “Lloyd”, was that the actual name for that style of the fork? Hope the images are of interest and Wilkens can be miss-spelt Wilkins.
Fishless
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this is not the "Lloyd" pattern of Wilkens / Koch and Bergfeld first mentioned in this post, but an older one, also used on that shipline. The marks seen here also are the older ones, preceding the better known Wilkens / K&B marks on plated pieces. The symbol besides the Wilkens name is one of the old symbols used in alchemy to denote copper, basic ingredient of the base metal used here. The mark can be found on plated Wilkens pieces from ca. 1870 - ??? Dimly remember to have seen this oldfashioned type of K&B mark before, don*t doubt that this is an original Koch and Bergfeld mark around 1900, give or take some years. Believe that "Lloyd" pattern was the official name of the pattern, pointing at its first use. It was later available to everyone, plated or silver. Regards Bahner

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”