Help Identifying Gorham Seafood Fork

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blackcat720

Help Identifying Gorham Seafood Fork

Post by blackcat720 »

Hi - I am looking for help identifying this pattern/mark for this Gorham seafood fork. In my research I have found that Gorham made several sets of seafood forks which were not part of the stock patterns in the late 1880's, however I can't locate anything like mine. Not sure the mark is an anchor, a pick, etc.

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot in the forums, but this is my first post.

Thanks so much in advance!

Rose
Aguest
contributor

Re: Help Identifying Gorham Seafood Fork

Post by Aguest »

Not sure what the pattern is, but I have a very similar 4 inch long spoon. Your fork seems to have a few extra "rings" in the two places there, but they are quite similar. My spoon has the "Lion-Anchor-G" hallmark and is marked "STERLING" as well. If your fork only has the "GORHAM" and an Anchor symbol (That is an Anchor Symbol not a Pick Symbol), then it could be silver plate, but I do get a sterling silver kind of vibe from the fork just by looking at it. I have seen custom made Sterling Silver pieces only marked "GORHAM" in the past, but I believe they always had a "STERLING" mark on them as well.

As to the pattern name, hopefully you can find it, but it will be difficult. Your fork and my spoon and other pieces fall under the category of "Geometric" and they show motifs such as spheres, rods, tubes, cones, pyramids, torpedoes, and all other sorts of variations. I don't think they had a pattern name, but many showed a strong resemblance to other patterns. A few of these pieces seem completely bizarre, like something you would find in an Alice In Wonderland type of world, and they make you wonder how they were ever used in a table service.

Anyway, check the piece for other marks, and maybe we can at least figure out if it is Sterling Silver or Silver Plate.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums. The 'GORHAM/anchor' mark indicates that it's electroplated, the use of the anchor trademark alone for their silverplate production is well documented. This was most likely sold as an oyster fork (made with the cutting tine as on yours, as well as without), though they're commonly called seafood or cocktail forks these days - doubt this piece was part of any named line pattern, and 1880s dating is probably about right...

~Cheryl

1869 advertisement:
asheland

Post by asheland »

I like those old Gorham documents and advertisements, Cheryl.
Thanks for posting that! :-)
blackcat720

Post by blackcat720 »

Thank you all for helping with this - mystery solved!

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”