Help with identification on metal box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
anne19

Help with identification on metal box

Post by anne19 »

Hello,

I am not sure whether this is silver (and doubt it is) or what the origin may be therefore I am unsure where to post this question; I know you're supposed to be sure it's silver to post in the silver sites, and I don't think it's silverplated, if there is a better place could an administrator please let me know? I have searched fairly extensively but can't find anything specific to this style or the markings. This box is heavy, and measures ~6"x4"x4". No lining inside. It is not magnetic. The only markings I can see are the ones I have pictured. The pieces come apart (there's nothing to keep the hinges hooked together) and each piece is marked with the number 134. Mexico, India? I have no history about it. If anyone can give me any information I'd greatly appreciate it.

davidross
contributor

Re: Help with identification on metal box

Post by davidross »

Welcome to the Forum.

The box looks to me like modern handwork that comes from India, or possibly Pakistan, Nepal, or Tibet. The lack of marks may be due to a missing foil or paper label.

The matching marks on the top and bottom were probably placed there by the worker who soldered the hinges, so that they could be matched up when another worker assembled the box. It sounds like the pins are missing from the hinges.

That the box is nonmagnetic is inconclusive. A magnet is only useful in determining that an object that responds to it is not silver, or perhaps that some of its components are not silver. In other words, just because an object does not respond to a magnet only means that it might be silver. There are many non-precious metals that do not respond to a magnet. Most likely the box is made of white metal.

Regards
DR
anne19

Re: Help with identification on metal box

Post by anne19 »

Thank you so much for your reply, DR, that's what I was thinking, but was surprised to not find anything similar to it.

~Anne

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”