New Guy: James Dixon Flask questions

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Alonzo

New Guy: James Dixon Flask questions

Post by Alonzo »

Hello all, new guy here with a few questions. If I over look any forum norms or rules, my apologies.

I'm a fly fishing fanatic and really enjoy vintage fly reels and salmon reels from the UK. Friend of mine forward me a vintage flask that was for sale and I bit. That's is how I found this site. I understand proof and makers marks from firearms, but know nothing when it comes to these types. Based on my research, the 'F' represents a year and as near as I can tell its 1803 or 1846. Thoughts on year? Beyond the obvious made in England and the volum, can anyone tell me any more as to the horn mark and the '47'?

Second set of questions, based on age and or period, is there any way to determin the type of metal and/or quality? The cork washer in the lid is also bad, is that an easy fix? Finally, there looks to be some brownish buildup in the flask itself. Best way to remove so it can be used?

Thanks for being willing to share your knowledge!

Alonzo

Alonzo

Re: New Guy: James Dixon Flask questions

Post by Alonzo »

Forgot a pic:

user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

The flask is silver plated, not silver, as there are no English hallmarks.

Cork stopper do wear with age and can be replaced with newer cork or rubber stoppers.

No sure about the best way to clean internally, hopefully someone else may have a solution.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

As there is not even any sort of marking indicating electroplate, it may not even be silver plated, just pewter or some other base metal. In addition, as it is not solid silver, the F does not represent a hallmark year; it is some sort of factory code. As the "47" is next to the capacity it may also represent some dimension or it may just be another factory code.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Alonzo,

Welcome to the Forum.

Datewise, there are a couple of clues here. The 'Trumpet and Banner' trade mark was introduced in 1879, as can be seen by the below advertisement:

In 1890 a second trade mark was registered, this being the 'Trumpet and Banner' with the addition of the firm's name.

Also, but by no means written in stone, the addition of the 'Made in England' often indicates an early 20th century date. This was due to the introduction of import tariffs in certain countries requiring the place of origin to be identified, however, such marking was the practise of some firms long before that date.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”