svenskt tenn holloware

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
pauley61

svenskt tenn holloware

Post by pauley61 »

Hi, I have a piece of Swedish pewter which was a wedding gift to a family member in 1951. Engraved (in Swedish) around edge of bowl is " På bröllopsdagen. Från föräldrar och syskon". (On your wedding day. From your parents and siblings.) It is a lovely piece, and appears to be hand crafted. Any info on its origins would be appreciated. View three pictures at the link below:
http://www.msnusers.com/N-G-NelsonFamil ... snw?Page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. Karen
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

Swedish pewter made after 1912 (when the assaying of pewter stopped) can be very difficult to identify. It's not from the company Svenskt Tenn, at least, but from one of the many manufacturers of pewter in Sweden.

I believe your porridge bowl, as we would call it in Sweden, was new when presented to your relative. It's hard to see the letters above "svenskt tenn". The last ones looks like Sm, but what is the first one? It's very beautiful and appears to be of high quality, so I don't think it's impossible to identify the maker. If you can figure the first letter out, I'll try my best to find the maker for you!

My suggestion at this point is that it could be made by E. Swedbom in Vetlanda, Sweden. He signed with ESm. Is there no date mark, like A9 (for 1951)? Or, if it's not ESm, do you know where in Sweden your relatives might have bought it? That could be helpful.
pauley61

svenskt tenn holloware

Post by pauley61 »

Yes, Matulda, it is an ESm. Those that I could ask of its purchase are unfortunately gone. Most of the relatives were in small towns in Värmland and Östergötland but that is not necessarily where it comes from! I would love any info on this smith! Thanks again! Are you in Sweden, förresten? I was there for 5 weeks this summer! Vad kul!
Karen
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

Well, then we've identified the maker! That was easy! Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Ernst Swedbom, or Svedbom, except that he lived and worked in Vetlanda, in Småland. I've posted a question on a Swedish forum and will get back to you if I get some more information.

I'm glad you had a nice stay in Sweden, Karen! I live in Uppsala, with Scandinavia's oldest university, about 70 kilometres north of Stockholm.

P.S. I hope admin will excuse us for being a bit OT, but I thought it might have been the company Svenskt Tenn, who acually made quite a lot of silverware. If you want to keep the forum clean from pewter, we can continue this discission privately.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”