Unknown hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rainfroggy

Unknown hallmark

Post by rainfroggy »

Hello all, very glad to be a part of this forum. I am very new at collecting antiques, and i'm loving it. My grandmother has started to pass me stuff a little at a time. She gave me this water pitcher that looks copper??? with a silver overlay. Not quite sure. I'm scare to clean it. The hallmark on the bottom is of a windmill with a smoking pipe on each side(of the windmill) Numbers are 3026.I tried taking pictures of the hallmark, but my camera stinks. I did post one of the pitcher. I have been searching for 2 yrs now. If anyone has info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, RainfroggyImage
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi RF,
Is this it?
rainfroggy

Post by rainfroggy »

Admin,
You got it!!!! Is this from a book or a piece???? Do you have any info? Thank you so much. Rainfroggy
finnegan

Post by finnegan »

Hi, it's by the Barbour Silver Co. of Hartford, CT. There's some info about 'em here - barbour you can google them for lots of returns.
Fin
rainfroggy

Post by rainfroggy »

finnegan,
thanks so much, that helps. There really isnt much info on Barbour silver. And i couldnt find the windmill/pipe hallmark.Do you know if this was the first hallmark they used?I did find a book to buy with some info. Now do you know if i can clean this like reagular silver?
Thanks again, Rainfroggy
finnegan

Post by finnegan »

Hey RF,

This site is built around silver marks, there's no particular pool of knowledge about silverplate companies. You might want to pick up (or library) a copy of
Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers by Dorothy T. Rainwater & Judy Redfield. It has a lot of detailed info on silver plate manufacturers, as well as sterling companies.

Fin

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”