ID Hallmarks on Berry Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
aa

ID Hallmarks on Berry Spoon

Post by aa »

I think this is British, but because I am such a novice with regard to this subject I can not be sure. Any help to identify this piece would be gratefully accepted.

What I see is a serif type “A” inside a circle. Then I see a scripted “A”, then a scripted “T” followed by series of three characters that appear to be an ampersand, a scripted “C” and another character, in superscript, that appears to look like the Greek letter, pi, (Π). Following that is a crown within a circle; however, this crown does not look like any crown shown in any of the British symbols or any of the other country/artesian symbols. After the crown is a symbol for which I can not identify. If turned 90 degrees is looks like a perched eagle with wings flexed. I am at a true loss.

Thank you.

aa

frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Hello AA,

I agree with you it looks like British silverplate and it must be from before 1896 because at this date the usd of the crown was forbidden in English silverplate. Unfortunately, I cannot find who the maker is.

Hope this has helped.
Myriam
aa

Post by aa »

Thank you for the reply. It sure fooled me. I've had it for a very long time as it was part of my Mother's silver stuff. However, I think she too, thought it was sterling. It must be a rather heavy plate as we use it all the time in the summer especially, and it shows no sign of wear, short of normal ware.

Once again, thank you so much and maybe someone out there will know something about the maker
aa
aa

Post by aa »

Hello Myriam,

I was wondering if you had any idea what that last mark is, the one on the right in the picture.

Ihave visited your beautiful city and country in the past and have enjoyed it enormously. If you ever come to the states you are welcome in Montana.

Thank you again
aa
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Hello aa,

I guess the last hallmark on the right is an eagle sitting on a branch and in a crest. This should be part of the makers mark.

I really belive it is very high quality Sheffield silverplate. The crown has allways been the city hallmark for Sheffield.

Unfortunately my book is not complete enough to find who the maker is.

Nevertheless I think that the maker's mark is AT & Co Sheffield,

Sorry, I cannot help you more.

Have a great week end.

Myriam

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”