"EL" mark on Sheffield spoon/ bowl Italy?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
apico19

"EL" mark on Sheffield spoon/ bowl Italy?

Post by apico19 »

hello, maybe somebody could explain something to me...today at a yard sale, I purchased what I believe to be a silver sugar bowl, with the initials "EL" with a crown above, and below says "Italy" Well when I got the piece home I at first thought the spoon it came with didn't match the bowl because it says "Sheffield" on it and I know that is English silver. Then I saw the same "EL" initials on the spoon as well. Why would the bowl say Italy if it was made in England? Thank you to anyone who might know a little something about this and what "EL" stands for.
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi Apico,

British silver plate is marked EPNS, which means electroplate nickel silver .

Reg.

Alain
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

We often see that EL mark on de Uberti of Italy silverplate items.
Have also seen the mark on British (Crafton Silver Company for example) and German pieces brfore.
Not sure if de Uberti was an importer and/or distributor or if the mark was just used by different firms.

Pat.
maparkis

Re: "EL" mark on Sheffield spoon/ bowl Italy?

Post by maparkis »

Hello,
I found your comments and images in my search to identify the same crown + EL mark on a small oval silver bowl I bought.
On mine, below the crown and italic EL, it has "Germany", and below that the WMF (Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik) mark that was used between 1935 and 1965.Another site mentions the same marks on a shallow silver dish.
I am getting the impression that EL was an importer of finely crafted silver and silver-plate items from Europe.I'll keep researching. If any one has further information, I'd love to hear it.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: "EL" mark on Sheffield spoon/ bowl Italy?

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi - please see this post: http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19496

~Cheryl

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”