California state capitol souvenir spoon with odd markings.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jhdreck

California state capitol souvenir spoon with odd markings.

Post by jhdreck »

i was given these two spoons recently and would like to know why one has some kind of stamps or hallmarks over the A1+ on the back, the spoons are identical other than the markings on the back, one has these three consecutive Cross type hallmarks covering the A!+, although its still obvious that there is A1+ underneath.

silverly

Re: California state capitol souvenir spoon with odd markings.

Post by silverly »

Welcome to the forum. It may be that these spoons are a product of Williams Bros Mfg of Glastonbury, Connecticut, and they were a higher standard of silverplate than A1. Just a thought. Hopefully, others will have a better idea.
jhdreck

Post by jhdreck »

jhdreck wrote:i was given these two spoons recently and would like to know why one has some kind of stamps or hallmarks over the A1+ on the back, the spoons are identical other than the markings on the back, one has these three consecutive Cross type hallmarks covering the A!+, although its still obvious that there is A1+ underneath.

Bump, still curious if anyone knows.
silverly

Post by silverly »

After looking into the meaning of A1 silver plate, I have to say that it is more likely that the crossed out marking has something to do with a less than A1 quality of silver plate. I doubt that the meaning is much more complicated than that, but will also wait to hear more.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”