Japanese? Pendant

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverly

Japanese? Pendant

Post by silverly »

Wondering if anyone will shed some light on the origination and possible characters on the front of this two and three eighths inches or six centimeters wide pendant. The only markings are sterling and 950.

legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Japanese? Pendant

Post by legrandmogol »

you are right, definitely Japanese. post war 1950's - 1960's. No idea what the characters mean.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Also the 950 means 950/1000 silver purity, slightly higher than the 925 minimum requirement for sterling silver.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Thank you very much legrandmogol. I have no knowledge of these characters but I've been viewing both Japanese and Chinese examples just to see if anything makes sense.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I was just told by a couple of Chinese ladies that the character on this pendant means happiness or blessing.
ShineInnerLight

Post by ShineInnerLight »

The character in Chinese is 福 and yes it does mean happiness or blessings. There are multiple meanings. Some characters, like this one, exist in both Chinese and Japanese. It has a similar meaning in Japanese but I'm not familiar with the cultural context. 福 in Chinese is a very common character found in posters and door signs.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Thank you very much for your insight on the matter. I'll try to find someone that knows how the Japanese apply this character just because the pendant was made in Japan.

Return to “Other Jewelry”