Please Help I have a big problem

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
damjan

Please Help I have a big problem

Post by damjan »

I am asking for help,

Antique silver ring which picture I am sending ( made by camera and electronic microscope) I borrowed for a display at local museum. Before that I have a information about age of ring which is dated from 700 bc till 300 bc. After museum keep it for 3 months as a public display, I got it return in this condition that can see on pictures, and they claim that they had cleaned professionally by expert's.I did not ask for cleaning. Ring is now easier for 0.16 grams. Please can someone give me personal opinion if this is replica of my original ring.
Thank you in front for any kind of assistance and help about this matter.
P.S. I have more than 50 photos if someone needs it more examples to be sure.
BEFORE

AFTER

AG2012
contributor

Re: Please Help I have a big problem

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Scratches cannot be perfectly reproduced with casting. Compare before and after.
I think the ring is the same, cleaning is questionable, though.
Regards

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Do not rely on one measurement. For example, multiple measurements are done in labs and mean value calculated.
Mint gold coins (Austrian ducats) show slightly different weight.
damjan

Post by damjan »

AG2012 thank you for your efforts and your opinion greatly respect.Libra is verified accurate to two decimal places.Some damage that can be seen on the rosettes on the returned instance does not exist,I am convinced that it is a replica but I do not know how to prove.And 0.16g patina on one ring ...
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Even with the most sophisticated equipment it is not possible to reproduce the finest details with casting (lost wax casting). Fine details are always lost.
Moreover, look at the pictures with red arrows. Green corrosion on silver turns brownish when exposed to acid (cleaning). There was this green spot leaving brown spot after cleaning at exactly the same place (right). The same on the left side, green areas turned brown at exactly the same place. Who would bother to create brown areas at exactly the same place of green corrosion!
No way.
It would be interesting to determine exact composition of silver alloy. There are electronic testers.
What did they say at the museum ? Seven centuries BCE looks a bit exagerated.
Regards

olga_kehl
contributor

Post by olga_kehl »

AG2012 wrote: It would be interesting to determine exact composition of silver alloy. There are electronic testers.
I had the same thoughts. About alloy composition.

And I think the most sensitive part of the ring is conjunction between the ring and the shiled. How was conjuncted your initial ring? Is it the same?

Very sorry for your situation (((
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The hoop is soldered to bezel in all images. Again, very unlikely they would have bothered to cast two separate parts and then solder them.
damjan

Post by damjan »

AG2012 and olga_kehl thank you both for your time and for helpful advice.My mistake of dating in translation,is actually a period ranging from 3 century BC to the 7th century DC.The museum told me that their only fault is that they they did not ask for permission to clean it but he did superbly conservator.Next week, I'm sending it to the spectrograph so will see exactly the composition of metals and then things will be clearer.
Pay attention to these details
Best regards
damjan

Post by damjan »

AG2012 You were absolutely correct in assessing,credible conservator confirmed to me that the ring is authentic
but that is totally unprofessional done restoration and thereby irreversibly destroyed part of the subject.
The results of spectroscopic analysis of the ring
Ag>89.3%
Cu>6.2%
Zn<3%
Pb<1%
Fe<0.3%
Au<0.2%
Another great appreciation for the time and effort both
Best regards AG2012 and olga_kehl
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The composition of the alloy correlates with old silver (rather primitive metallurgy skills) particularly the presence of gold.
There is a theory that old silver has beautiful lustre due to traces of gold.
Every cloud has a silver lining.There was substantial green corrosion that might have penetrated deeper into silver. But they removed both corrosion and patina.
In a word, it`s genuine ring. Enjoy it.
Regards
olga_kehl
contributor

Post by olga_kehl »

damjan wrote:confirmed to me that the ring is authentic
Good news :)

Return to “Other Jewelry”