Compact stamped Sterling silver 32 is this from USA or India??

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
LKmiller

Compact stamped Sterling silver 32 is this from USA or India??

Post by LKmiller »

Hi everyone,
The stamp is " Sterling Silver 32" is it American or India? I know the Americans did stamp Sterling on their silver compacts but I'm not familiar with manufacturers using numbers they used a retailers name.
There are 5 garnet/ruby stones faceted and Taj Mahalis engraved into a dull silver with a polished frame.
On eBay I found a few similar Taj Mahal's even a large bull/cow engraved on the lid. Some had a map of India on the case back but all have faceted 5 small pink stones. Only one had a stamp "Sterling Silver" no number and some 800 silver but withour a clear picture of the stamp.

I think it's a souvenier of India made in 1950's. On the engraved map of India, Bombay not Mumbai is marked with a faceted garnet/ruby stone. (Indian Independence Act of 1947- change of Bombay to Mumbai) -Map not shown

Hope someone can help with this mystery!!
Lynne
AG2012
contributor

Re: Compact stamped Sterling silver 32 is this from USA or India??

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Pay attention to lettering. The stamp was obviously done by someone who did not use Latin as the first alphabet. It`s often seen in Middle and Far East silver marks - distorted Latin letter.
In short, it`s India. Number 32 is of no importance. Maker`s reference, inventory, serial number.
Regards
LKmiller

Post by LKmiller »

Hi AG2012
Thanks for your quick reply. I suspect these silver compacts were made in the 1950's as a souvenir of India.

Thanks again,
Lynne
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
In regard of dating; the map has been mentioned. Was Karachi included ? If so, that would mean before the partition of India.
Regards

Return to “Other Jewelry”