old silver ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
randlane

old silver ring

Post by randlane »

I found old silver ring. Europe, coast of baltic sea. The place was a tavern and small manor from middle ages till II ww when it was bombed to the ground. From there on it is being a field. Near there found some coins from 15th to 20th century. Coins were from Germany, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Poland (lot of wars have been fought around here). The ring was pretty worn and marks were not so clear. It had no standard proof mark so i guess its pretty old.I am most interested about the mark what looks like maltese cross but its just 4 triangles put together as cross.
I would be thankful for any info i could get.
wiggy131

Re: old silver ring

Post by wiggy131 »

Hello, I was trying to help with your ring and I came across these mark on a spoon as you can see. Not sure but it does look like a Maltese ring dating to victorian period. Have a look and see if you think it similar, http://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000664.html
have fun!
Vickie
randlane

Re: old silver ring

Post by randlane »

Hey
Thanks for your input.
Malta was the first where i looked but all maltese marks have cutouts from the tips of the cross. My cross is made of only plane straight line triangles. It seems that the ring loop was on the way when the mark was struck. Bottom right corner of the mark is deeper and triangles bigger and top left is not so deep like tool was placed with an angle on the surface when the mark was made. Im guessing it might be a city mark and the country mark is missing like proof mark. I dont know.

Return to “Other Jewelry”